Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting data from a to z
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting data from a to z Post 302343495 by tukuyomi on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 03:54:23 PM
Old 08-12-2009
Using awk, I don't know, but you can use sort instead
I created a file named test1 for this example:
Code:
$ cat test1
NGC1234 6 9
SL899 4 1
NGC1075 8 3
SL709 5 2
$ sort test1
NGC1075 8 3
NGC1234 6 9
SL709 5 2
SL899 4 1
$

You can also use sort after a pipe:
Code:
$ awk '{print}' test1 | sort
$ cat test1 | sort

Last edited by tukuyomi; 08-12-2009 at 05:01 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting blocks of data

Hello all, Below is what I am trying to accomplish: I have a file that looks like this /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000050 ----------------- */ jdghjghkla sadgsdags asdgsdgasd asdgsagasdg /* ----------------- xxxx.y_abcd_00000055 ----------------- */ sdgsdg sdgxcvzxcbv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting data from who by IP

Hello. I have an RS/6000 running AIX 4 and I need to be able to see if there are any users that are logged on more than once from the same terminal so I can kick them off to make room for other terminals. 64 connections is the limit. Currently I am doing this: who | more and then manually... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL data - sorting

Hello, I have a page where multiple fields and their values are displayed. But I am able to sort only a few fields. When I looked into the issue, it is seen that the for each row of info , an unique id is generated and id.txt is generated and saved. Only those fields which are inside that id.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting Command

Hi, I have a problem on data sorting, example my file as below: 123 123/789 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 112 112/123 aaa bbb ccc (ade) 102 1a3/7g9 (adf)03 110 12b/129 aaa bbb ccc ddd fff(a8f)03 117 42f/8c9 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 142 120/tyu fff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data

Hello guys. I need help figuring this one out. It's probably really easy. Thanks in advance! I have a file say for example containing this: Rice Food Carrots Food Beans Food Plates Kitchen Fork Kitchen Knives Kitchen I need: Food Rice, Carrots, Beans Kitchen Plates, Fork,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visuelz
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting

Hi All, I have a long list made of 4 columns containing entries such as the following example: a b c d 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 2 2 5 3 4 3 8 4 6 4 10 9 8 5 15 8 10So the top row is the header and I need to arrange the data in a way as to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the Data

My actual data looks like below i have given only format. i can't give exact data format of my requirement due to some reasons. I this set of data lines about 5000 I need to come up with information in below exact format of my data set : Line<space>Number1<space>"somedata":... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the data with date

Hi, PFB the data: C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 so the values are ending with year,i.e.,130417 i want to sort the values with date. i want the output like this: Perl_Random_120519 Perl_Random_120528 C_Random_130417 Java_Random_130518 can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How AS 400 sorting data?

Hi Gurus, I have a requests to sort data based on AS 400 sorting order. below is example: the data is sorted by ascending order. could anybody explain how AS 400 sort data? IMM00007 07918607 1242 423 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies
GPG-ZIP(1)						      General Commands Manual							GPG-ZIP(1)

NAME
gpg-zip - encrypt or sign files into an archive SYNOPSIS
gpg-zip [OPTIONS] filename1 [filename2, ...] directory1 [directory2, ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the gpg-zip command. gpg-zip encrypts or signs files into an archive. It is an gpg-ized tar using the same format as PGP's PGP Zip. OPTIONS
-e, --encrypt Encrypt data. This option may be combined with --symmetric (for output that may be decrypted via a secret key or a passphrase). -d, --decrypt Decrypt data. -c, --symmetric Encrypt with a symmetric cipher using a passphrase. The default symmetric cipher used is CAST5, but may be chosen with the --cipher-algo option to gpg(1). -s, --sign Make a signature. See gpg(1). -r, --recipient USER Encrypt for user id USER. See gpg(1). -u, --local-user USER Use USER as the key to sign with. See gpg(1). --list-archive List the contents of the specified archive. -o, --output FILE" Write output to specified file FILE. --gpg GPG Use the specified command instead of gpg. --gpg-args ARGS Pass the specified options to gpg(1). --tar TAR Use the specified command instead of tar. --tar-args ARGS Pass the specified options to tar(1). -h, --help Output a short usage information. --version Output the program version. DIAGNOSTICS
The program returns 0 if everything was fine, 1 otherwise. EXAMPLES
Encrypt the contents of directory mydocs for user Bob to file test1: gpg-zip --encrypt --output test1 --gpg-args -r Bob"" mydocs List the contents of archive test1: gpg-zip --list-archive test1 SEE ALSO
gpg(1), tar(1) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Please report bugs to <bug-gnupg@gnu.org>. This manpage was written by Colin Tuckley <colin@tuckley.org> and Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert@wgdd.de> for the Debian distribution (but may be used by others). November 2006 GPG-ZIP(1)