Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding one string at the beginning of each line in a file Post 302343431 by mglenney on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 12:51:36 PM
Old 08-12-2009
Code:
for i in $(cat a.txt); do echo "Root $i"; done

actually, probably better with awk
Code:
awk '{print "Root " $0}' a.txt

Or with sed
Code:
sed 's/^/Root /g' a.txt

BTW, I'm not showing off, I'm trying to improve my sed and awk skills and am using your question to try them out Smilie

Last edited by mglenney; 08-12-2009 at 01:58 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to mglenney For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file

How can i add a character(#) in the beginning of every line in a .dat file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cool Coder
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a line at the beginning of every file in a directory?

if need to input a word or anything at the beginning of every file in a directory. how do i accomplish this? say the file is named hyperten. how do i make hyperten the first line of every file in a given directory? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write new line at the beginning of an existing file

I was trying to find out the easiest way to write new line to the beginning of an exisiting file. I am using KSH. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailussr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[string processing]Adding new line in file

I have a report file which somewhere has a lines starting with word ".sub" I have a new variable named $new. What i am trying to do is insert the content of $new just before the occurrence of ".sub" in the report file. How can I do that? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename file by adding a name in beginning

about 200 files with names as 11_0.pdb 11_60.pdb 12_12.pdb 14_180.pdb are there in my library...I need to rename all of them by addinf File in front of them as: File11_0.pdb File11_60.pdb File12_12.pdb File14_180.pdb I checked many threads but it seems i get even more confused..i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file name to the beginning of each line

I want to append file names at the beginning of a line for each row file content abc.txt.gz 123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz 876|trf|kjh I want a single output file with below format abc.txt.gz|123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz|876|trf|kjh This one is working but only with unzip files,need to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh5300
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a text in the beginning of a line

Hi, I am doing something like below: cat file1>file3and cat file2>>file3 I wanted to check if there is a way to write a custom message(hardcoded message)something like below at the beginning of each line then PIPE delimitiation and then followed by remaining record. cat file1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add one line in the beginning of the file?

Hi gurus, I need add one new line in the begining of current file. current file abc cde add xyz output file newline abc cde add xyz (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put a string to the beginning of a file without a linefeed

Hello, I need to put the following string to the beginning of a file - but it should not create a newline at the end of the string. So, the file I have is a compressed one - with gzip. And I would like to add an ASCII-String to the beginning of the file. The string has a length of 69... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding test to beginning and end of list in a file

Hi all and apologies for the silly question, but I've searched and I can't get this right. I have a list of email addresses in a file that I need to blacklist (spam). the list is quite long and I would need to script a small routine so that I can get the following for each line in the file: db... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bm555
4 Replies
FPUTCSV(3)								 1								FPUTCSV(3)

fputcsv - Format line as CSV and write to file pointer

SYNOPSIS
int fputcsv (resource $handle, array $fields, [string $delimiter = ","], [string $enclosure = '"'], [string $escape_char = " DESCRIPTION
fputcsv(3) formats a line (passed as a $fields array) as CSV and write it (terminated by a newline) to the specified file $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -The file pointer must be valid, and must point to a file successfully opened by fopen(3) or fsockopen(3) (and not yet closed by fclose(3)). o $fields - An array of values. o $delimiter - The optional $delimiter parameter sets the field delimiter (one character only). o $enclosure - The optional $enclosure parameter sets the field enclosure (one character only). o $escape_char - The optional $escape_char parameter sets the escape character (one character only). RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the written string or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ | 5.5.4 | | | | | | | The $escape_char parameter was added | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 fputcsv(3) example <?php $list = array ( array('aaa', 'bbb', 'ccc', 'dddd'), array('123', '456', '789'), array('"aaa"', '"bbb"') ); $fp = fopen('file.csv', 'w'); foreach ($list as $fields) { fputcsv($fp, $fields); } fclose($fp); ?> The above example will write the following to file.csv: aaa,bbb,ccc,dddd 123,456,789 """aaa""","""bbb""" NOTES
Note If PHP is not properly recognizing the line endings when reading files either on or created by a Macintosh computer, enabling the auto_detect_line_endings run-time configuration option may help resolve the problem. SEE ALSO
fgetcsv(3). PHP Documentation Group FPUTCSV(3)