Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted Post 302343390 by avronius on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 10:09:38 AM
Old 08-12-2009
Word of warning...

Your server may respond to a ping request during the fsck - the network interface is initialized before advancing to the multi-user run level. You may find that the network interface may respond to ICMP echo requests, yet still be in single-user mode. (Your mileage may vary)

One way to test if multi-user services are up, is to attempt to telnet to port 22 (the ssh port). If the service is up, you should see something like:

Code:
root(me)@myhost2# telnet myhost1 22
Trying 192.168.1.101...
Connected to myhost1.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-Sun_SSH_1.1

If the service is not yet up, you should see something like:
Code:
root(me)@myhost2# telnet myhost1 22
Trying 192.168.1.101...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

- Avron

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh: test $? on remote system.

Hi, a little help. I need to test the return code of a list file command on a remote system (Unix) using the rsh command. More exactly, to test is a directory exists, I try the following command: rsh $remoteHost "ls -la " $DirRemote Now, if the $DirRemote is not correct and I test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

execute a script on test server from dev server

I need to execute a script from dev server which is located on Test server.I can use ftp to connect to dev server and from there how can i execute a command on test server. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. Programming

SFTP from one remote server to another remote server from desktop

Hi, I have 1. lappy 2. server A 3. server B Now, what i need is to run a command from lappy that will sftp a file from server A to server B. Please guide me to achieve this. -akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test if Remote server is up and running before SFTP'ing files (in batch mode)

Hello, In our Data Warehouse environment, before our batch SFTP jobs kick off to pull the files from remote servers, I would like to setup a pre-sftp job that would test if all the remote servers from where the files are being pulled, are up and running. If any one of the remote serer is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dippu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo connect to a remote server and execute scripts in remote server

Hello Every one!! I am trying to write a shell script which will connect to a remote server and execute scripts which are at a certain path in the remote server. Before this I am using a sudo command to change the user. The place where I am stuck is, I am able to connect to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masubram
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to test if remote dir exist?

Hello, :) I'm trying to test if a remote directory exist per ssh, I have already made a ssh key and it works : #!/bin/bash HOST="10.10.1.22" FILE_PATH="/var/wwww/html" ssh -q $HOST ] && echo "Directory exists" || echo "Directory does not exist"; Output : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
Test::Mock::LWP::UserAgent(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Test::Mock::LWP::UserAgent(3pm)

NAME
Test::Mock::LWP::UserAgent - Mocks LWP::UserAgent SYNOPSIS
Make LWP::UserAgent to make testing easier. See Test::Mock::LWP manpage for more details. This class uses Test::MockObject, so refer to it's documentation as well. AUTHOR
Luke Closs, "<test-mock-lwp at 5thplane.com>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Mock-LWP>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. SUPPORT
You can find documentation for this module with the perldoc command. perldoc Test::Mock::LWP You can also look for information at: * AnnoCPAN: Annotated CPAN documentation <http://annocpan.org/dist/Test-Mock-LWP> * CPAN Ratings <http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Test-Mock-LWP> * RT: CPAN's request tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Test-Mock-LWP> * Search CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Mock-LWP> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2006 Luke Closs, all rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2007-01-25 Test::Mock::LWP::UserAgent(3pm)