Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting understanding the kill command Post 302343321 by zaxxon on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 07:03:32 AM
Old 08-12-2009
Using "ps -ef" for example you should see one column with the PID and right next to it the PPID. The PPID is the PID of the parent process. So you can follow which process is related to another.
Killing the parent process should usually kill the the child processes too. Sometimes you have to kill them manually even if the parent is dead already.

Always try to stop your application 1st by it's usual way like via script or binary and then with a kill. Always try to just kill it before you do kill -9. kill -9 should be last resort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

2. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help understanding script command

We use a UNIX-based system (Lawson) at work and I was given this command to request a data extract from the db admin. The only thing I really understand is the last line as it appears to be joining the files created from the first three lines into one. Is there anyone who can help me breakdown the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding the output command

Could you please explain me whats happening in the below code, appreciate your help, Thank you. /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/NewDAC/dacRecBuilder.sh /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/TgtFiles/NEW_DAC/DAC_Pos_TradeInv_Records.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl command understanding

Hi All, Can you please help me interpret the following command. Which I am not able to understand. Also can you please illustrate what it is used for. perl -pi -e 's/\015//g' text_file.dat Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh.su30
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding 'find' command

I want to understand what does this command do:confused::confused: find . \( -type f -o -type 1 \) Plz someone explain me ! Thanks much in advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sears
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Need Help in Understanding a command

Hello I am working on a Change request and Stuck at a point. The below awk command is used in the function. float_test ( ) { echo | awk 'END { exit ( !( '"$1"')); }' } I understand that awk 'END' is used to add one line at the end and exit is used to end the script with an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)