Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file Post 302343317 by raghutapal on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 06:53:23 AM
Old 08-12-2009
I tried the -i option but getting the below error
sed: Not a recognized flag: i

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string from file which contains variable and path - SH

e.g. /home/$USER/.config replace it with "" (empty) Is this possible? I think you should play a bit with sharps ## and sed:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string and replace with string in other file

Dear all, I need your help, I have file like this: file1:23456 01910964830098775635 34567 01942809546554654323 67589 26546854368698023653 09778 58716868568576876878 08675 86178546154065406546 08573 54165843543054354305 . .file2: 23456 25 34567 26 67589 27 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string based on entries on another file

I have a file1 with different with multiple fields and records File2 has 2 fields. I want to find and replace strings in file1 based on file2 values (I Want an exact match i.e. for example: when searching for DT:3, Substr of DT:34 should not be matched) File2: DT:3 foo_err DT:34 bar_frr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in a text file

Dear all, I want to find all the "," in my text file and then replace the commas to a tab. I found a script online but I don't know how to modify the script for my case. Any one can help? Thank you. @echo off &setlocal set "search=%1" set "replace=%2" set "textfile=Input.txt" set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find all .sh files in file system and need to replace the string inside .sh files

Hi All, I need to write a script to find all "*.sh" files in /home file system and if any string find "*.sh" files with the name vijay@gmail.com need to replace with vijay.bhaskar@gmail.com. I just understood about the find the command to search .sh files. Please help me on this. find / -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)