Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issues with grep -w
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issues with grep -w Post 302343173 by rdhanek on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 11:27:34 PM
Old 08-12-2009
Giving an error message as it is treating 21 as the file name.

---------- Post updated at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:18 PM ----------

It it is working fine in the script also if i input the data manually like as i shown below.
a='08/11/2009 21'
export a

But it is not working if i am use the script shown below for getting the value into variable $a. Even though i am able to echo $a correctly.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
genexpression()
{
stime=`date '+ %H'`
#stime=4;
if (( $stime < 5))
then
stime=`expr $stime \+ 19`
export express=`TZ=CST+24 date '+ %m/%d/%Y'`\ $stime
#stime=`expr $stime \- 5`
else
stime=`expr $stime \- 5`
if (( $stime < 10 ))
then
stime=0${stime}
fi
export express=`date '+%m/%d/%Y'`\ $stime
fi
}
genexpression
echo $express
a=$express
export a
echo $a
grep -w "$a" LOG.txt

Last edited by rdhanek; 08-12-2009 at 12:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP issues

Hi all, I am trying to perform a simple task with grep, this is what I execute: grep -i -n 'error|fail|warning' cl_less.out when I execute it it does not give any errors, as in the command worked and back to the command prompt, but if I run each grep independently the I do get a real fail: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqloyd
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues in grep command in Linux

Hi All I have a file containing following records: $HEW_TGT_DB2_USER=hbme_bi2 $prmAttunityUser=ais $DS_USER=hbme_bi2 $prmStgUser=hbme_bi2 $prmuser=hbme_bi2 $prmStgPass=hbme_bi2 $prmpwd=hbme_bi2 $prmAttunityUser=ais Say suppose the name of the file is test4.txt When i fire this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issues while pattern matching using grep

Hi, I have a file f1 wi the following data f1.txt ======== Report ID Report Name ----------------------------------------------------------------- Post Requests : 2 Post successes : 2 ============================================= I need to search for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RP09
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Echo and grep issues

Is there an environment issue that would not allow the following not store and pass the value into this field: underScorePresent=`echo $USER | grep "_" | wc -l` It is running on a new redhat 6.5 OS. The value $USER is set to cpac. It is a vendor code and they are saying it is environment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
1 Replies
STIME(2)                                                     Linux Programmer's Manual                                                    STIME(2)

NAME
stime - set time SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> int stime(const time_t *t); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): stime(): Since glibc 2.19: _DEFAULT_SOURCE Glibc 2.19 and earlier: _SVID_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
stime() sets the system's idea of the time and date. The time, pointed to by t, is measured in seconds since the Epoch, 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC). stime() may be executed only by the superuser. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT Error in getting information from user space. EPERM The calling process has insufficient privilege. Under Linux, the CAP_SYS_TIME privilege is required. CONFORMING TO
SVr4. SEE ALSO
date(1), settimeofday(2), capabilities(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-03-15 STIME(2)