Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Microcode vs Firmware
Operating Systems AIX Microcode vs Firmware Post 302343147 by dukessd on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 07:54:04 PM
Old 08-11-2009
As I understand it IBM use:
Firmware for the system embedded code - system firmware.
Microcode for the adapter and device embedded code - adapter microcode.
But all us normal people use either for either, typically firmware is used more often for both.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do firmware update

Hi, am a new comer to the AIX side. i had 3 specific questions. 1) what is firmware 2) how to locate the firmware running on a unix server 3) how to do firmware update(is it something i download from IBM site) thanks everybody for taking the time and plz reply. karthik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
5 Replies

2. AIX

Firmware on blade

Hi. I need to update firmware on a Js20 blade server I have and need to do it via Diagnostics CD, rather than using diag in AIX. So a little refresh on how to. Boot of the Diag CD, burn the firmware image to another CD-ROM and all set. Will I need to burn any additional files to the CD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sprellari
1 Replies

3. AIX

Firmware upgradations.........

Hi, Can anyone explain me, what is firmware & when it should be upgraded in any AIX system.. Thanks in advance. Amol. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Firmware password

Hi: I have a Sun Blade 1500 and when I do the Jumpstart with command "boot net - install" asking for the password of the firmware and I was not that password. There any way to reset this password. Thank you very much (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ea1fch
7 Replies

5. Hardware

Firmware

Hello forums this is my first post here im having an old adsl modem ZYXEL Prestige 660R i want to changet he firmware.it is using openwrt.but i have an inclination that incase i change the firmware then i will be no longer be left with the default user menu of the modem but i will have to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankscorek
16 Replies

6. AIX

Firmware upgrade

Hi. I just migrated a 5.3 box to 6.1 (standalone, no HMC). This is a System p5 520 Power 5 box The migration process went smooth but at the end when the server rebooted it never came up. So the bootup process never completes. It gets stuck at the screen with the big AIX logo saying it's loading... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
6 Replies

7. Solaris

ILOM Firmware

Hi Guys, Anyone know where to get the firmware to upgrade the ilom from 3.0 to 3.2.1. Found reference to it on myoracle support, but then when you try to follow the links it's not there. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Martin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
4 Replies

8. Solaris

T5 Firmware clarification

Hello, I am going to upgrade the Firmware on a T5 Sparc server running Solaris 11.2 and just wanted to clarify a couple of things please. I have downloaded the Firmware patch P24441083_96, however this says it is based on ILOM 3.2.6. Ive been trying to find the download ilom 3.2.6 but each time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeman
2 Replies

9. Solaris

2540-M2 Firmware

Hi all, Does anyone know how to upgrade the controller firmware on a storagetek 2540-M2 Array? Thanks in advance Martin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

HP UX firmware

Does unix servers need firmware updation regularly for smooth functioning? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjeeteast
2 Replies
BLESS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  BLESS(8)

NAME
bless -- set volume bootability and startup disk options SYNOPSIS
bless -help bless -folder directory [-folder9 directory] [-mount directory] [-bootinfo file] [-bootBlocks | -bootBlockFile file] [-save9] [-saveX] [-use9] [-system file] [-systemfile file] [-label name | -labelfile file] [-openfolder directory] [-setBoot] [-quiet | -verbose] bless -device device [-format [fstype] [-fsargs args] [-label name | -labelfile file]] [-bootBlockFile file] [-mount directory] [-wrapper file] [-startupfile file] [-system file] [-setBoot] [-quiet | -verbose] bless -info [directory] [-getBoot] [-bootBlocks] [-plist] [-quiet | -verbose] [-version] DESCRIPTION
bless is used to set volume bootability characteristics for PowerPC-based Macintoshes. It can also modify Open Firmware to select a different device to boot off of. bless has 3 modes of execution: Folder Mode, Device Mode, and Info Mode. Folder Mode allows you to select a folder on a mounted volume to act as the ``blessed'' system folder, and optionally update Open Firmware to boot from that volume. Device Mode is normally only used to format and setup a volume for the first time. Info Mode will print out the currently-blessed folder(s) of a volume, or if no mountpoint is specified, the volume that OF is set to boot from. Additionally, -help can be used to display the command-line usage summary. FOLDER MODE Folder Mode has the following options: -folder directory A blessed Mac OS X/Darwin system folder, containing a BootX secondary loader for New World machines. -folder9 directory A Mac OS 9/Classic system folder. If both -folder and -folder9 are given, preference can be given to boot into Mac OS 9 by also using the -use9 flag. -mount directory In lieu of specifying folders to bless, -mount can be given, and the pre-existing blessed folders are used. -bootinfo file Create a BootX file in the Mac OS X/Darwin system folder using file as a source. -bootBlocks Set the boot blocks on the volume. This is required for booting Mac OS 9. Boot blocks can be retrieved from the System file in the blessed Mac OS 9 system folder, or can be specified more directly using the -bootBlockFile or -system flags. -bootBlockFile file Extract boot blocks from file . The first 1024 bytes are read from the data fork of that file. -save9 Used if no -folder9 flag was given, but if the pre-existing Mac OS 9 system folder should be preserved. -saveX Used if no -folder flag was given, but if the pre-existing Mac OS X/Darwin system folder should be preserved. -use9 Used if both -folder and -folder9 were given, but Mac OS 9 should be the default for the volume. -system file Extract boot blocks from the file System file, using the Carbon resource manager. This will fail under Darwin, where Carbon is not present. -systemfile file Data fork System file to place in blessed System Folder -label name Render a text label used in the OpenFirmware-based OS picker -labelfile file Use a pre-rendered label used for the OpenFirmware-based OS picker -openfolder directory Specify a folder to be opened in the Finder when the volume is attached -setBoot Set the system to boot off the specified partition. This is implemented in a platform-specific manner. On Darwin PPC, the Open Firmware boot-device variable is modified. On Darwin x86, the MBR partition map is adjusted to mark the spec- ified partition as active -setOF Set the boot-device Open Firmware variable to boot off the volume containing. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -setBoot option. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output DEVICE MODE Device Mode has the following options: -device device Open the block device device . No volumes should be mounted from device . -format [fstype] Format the device using the fstype filesystem, or if it is not given, default to HFS+ with an HFS wrapper. -fsargs arg Additional arguments to newfs for the given filesystem -label name Give the filesystem the label while formatting, or set an OF-cased OS picker label -labelfile file Use a pre-rendered label used for the OpenFirmware-based OS picker name (in UTF-8 encoding) -bootBlockFile file Extract boot blocks from file . The first 1024 bytes are read from the data fork of that file. -mount directory Use directory as a temporary mount point for the HFS wrapper. -wrapper file Mount the wrapper on -mount and write file into the wrapper as the default System file. -system file Override the file specifications for -bootBlockFile and -wrapper and use this file instead for both those functions. -xcoff file Add the file as the HFS+ StartupFile, and update the partition map to reflect it's location on disk. This is necessary for Old World booting. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -startupfile option -setBoot Set the system to boot off the specified partition. This is implemented in a platform-specific manner. On Darwin PPC, the Open Firmware boot-device variable is modified. On Darwin x86, the MBR partition map is adjusted to mark the spec- ified partition as active -setOF Set the boot-device Open Firmware variable to boot off the volume containing. This option is deprecated in favor of the more generic -setBoot option. -startupfile file Add the file as the HFS+ StartupFile, and update other information on disk as appropriate for the startup file type. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output INFO MODE Info Mode has the following options: -info [directory] Print out the blessed system folder for directory . If directory is not specified, print information for the current boot-device (which may not necessarily be '/' . -setBoot Print out which device will be used on next boot, according to the boot-device Open Firmware variable. This option will take into account that OF might be pointing to an auxiliary booter partition, and will print out the correspond- ing root partition for those cases. -bootBlocks Print out salient fields from the boot blocks of the volume. -plist Output all information in Property List (.plist) format, suitable for parsing by CoreFoundation. This is most useful when bless is executed from another program and its standard output must be parsed. -quiet Do not print any output -verbose Print verbose output -version Print bless version and exit immediately FILES
/usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo Secondary loader with XML headers, used with -bootinfo flag. Used for booting New World PPC-based Macin- toshes /System/Library/CoreServices Typical blessed folder for Mac OS X and Darwin EXAMPLES
FOLDER MODE To bless a volume with only Mac OS 9: bless -folder9 "/Volumes/Mac OS 9/System Folder" -bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata" To bless a volume with only Mac OS X or Darwin, and create the BootX file: bless -folder "/Volumes/Mac OS X/System/Library/CoreServices" -bootinfo "/Volumes/Mac OS X/usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo" To set a volume containing either Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X to be the active volume: bless -mount "/Volumes/Mac OS" -setBoot INFO MODE To gather information about the currently selected volume (as determined by Open Firmware), suitable for piping to a program capable of pars- ing Property Lists: bless -info -plist -bootBlocks SEE ALSO
mount(8), newfs(8), nvram(8) Mac OS X August 3, 2003 Mac OS X