Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Script does not execute properly Post 302342765 by Scott on Monday 10th of August 2009 05:22:55 PM
Old 08-10-2009
Hi.

Does the script output an error?

Question: In your first while loop, you write "ls /mnt/sdb1/week$num/file*"

Is the user expected to type "file" as part of the filename?

i.e. your cat in the second while is "cat /mnt/sdb1/week$num/$file"

So to see file "whatever", I'd have to type "filewhatever".

If the file is not being displayed, either there is an error, or the follow on prompt "Incorrect filename ... Please select again.... " would be given. Is it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not processing if statement properly

Hi I am trying to create a shell script that will look for a contracthead file first and if the contract head file does not exist on day1 exit script. Now on day2 if contracthead exists or not run the script uploading files in order such as contract line then contract contact so the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathan184
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not running properly

I created a script before which was this :- cd /mike/dataxfer for dir in *; do if ; then ssh -l abc nissan "mkdir -p /mike/web/$dir" scp -r ${dir}/priceops nissan:mike/web/${dir}/ fi done exit 0 This script worked fine for me with no problem. It will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr not outputting properly.. bsd sh script

When i run sh -x test.sh, expr outputs x=expr $x + 1 instead of doing the arithmetic.. been working on this overnight.. and its being a pain in the arse if you ask me.. :confused::confused: #!/bin/sh #script for downloading numerical filenames chap=1 p=1 count=0 x=1 while do if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspect_p
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron does not execute script properly

I have a simple script that checks for certain printers and records them to a file. When I run the script manually at the command prompt, it works perfect, but when I run the script via cron, nothing happens. No errors reported, and no records are written out. I'm using Solaris 10. Below is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmatlebyane
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script doesnt work properly when crontab

Hi, I have a script which does a tar and sends it to another server as backup. Script is as below # Locations to be backed up. Seperate by space BACKUP_LOCATIONS=/repos/subversion BACKUP_BASE_FOLDER=/bakpool BACKUP_FILE_NAME_ROOT=svn-backup START_TIME_DISP=`date` START_TIME=`date... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not running properly when run from Crontab

Hi I am a novice Linux/Perl user and am struggling to overcome what I am sure is a simple problem. I am using a perl program to create a shell script daily containing between 10 and 30 "at -f" commands for the same day. Then I change the file attributes to allow the file to be executed. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simoncjones
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script line not working properly

Hi , I am using the below command in script. $_IDLETIME is returning value if i execute the script manually. sar > $_LOCATION/sar.txt _IDLETIME=`tail -2 $_LOCATION/sar.txt | head -1 | tr -s ' ' ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f8 | cut -d '.' -f1`; if But it s not returning any value if it put the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not working properly

Hello, i have below shell script to process ftp get from server and create file list afte finish. this shell scipt has 6 parameter input. unfortunately, it is only working to get the file and terminated before creating file list. please help. thanks, #!/bin/ksh ## example usage :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daryatmo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script does not run properly

Hello everybody Im learning bash scrpting language and im making a script that read a file line by line and it does a comparison if in a line start with a letter or number and it will delete every ones that start with a letter. But im getting some errors First of all, this is the script's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienrunes
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File count script not working properly

Hi Experts, I have this script to count the number of files based on prefix and suffix values. #!/bin/ksh file_date=$1 prefix=$2 suffix=$3 file_count=$(ls -l /db/day_file/{$prefix}*${file_date}*{$suffix}) The files in the directory /db/day_file are as below. 20170501 20170501... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
7 Replies
Test::Script(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Script(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.1 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3pm)