Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Paging/Scrolling a List of files for selection Post 302342680 by kshji on Monday 10th of August 2009 11:56:30 AM
Old 08-10-2009
Put the filelist to the array then select which lines/how many lines from array you like to show.
Code:
list=( $(ls -dr /home/* ) )
lines=${#list[*]}
first=${list[0]}

Some comments:
Code:
#no need to use external expr, ksh+bash can do it using builtin ((    ))
# = usually more safty use /bin/ksh or /bin/bash, you never know which version
# of shell the /bin/sh will be
#ITEMCOUNT=$(expr ${ITEMCOUNT} + 1)
(( ITEMCOUNT=ITEMCOUNT + 1 ))
# or
(( ITEMCOUNT+=1 ))

# it's enough
while true
do
# because true will return exit code 0, no need anymore test it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi horizontal scrolling

I have to look through logfiles where lines are several hundred characters long and if I open the log in Vi it automatically word wraps the line. In Vim you can use the -nowrap option to stop this, but how can you do this in Vi? I ask because I don't want to see the whole line, just the first few... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupweb
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

selection of files based on its types

Daily we are getting some datafiles to our unix server location FTPIN. Incoming File names will be present in the location "/xyz/test/" as below: "infile_A1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_A2_YYYYMMDD", "infile_B1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_C1_YYYYMMDD" "infile_C2_YYYYMMDD" Where A, B and C are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! scrolling numbers and letters

Hello all I am a unix newbie.... I have a sun netra t1 and it is freaking out I am connected to it through a console port, and it is just spitting out a ton on numbers and letters like below its just keeps going and going. I have tried rebooting it and I cannot get it back to any kind of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intraining11
1 Replies

4. AIX

vi scrolling issue

Hello, I am using poderosa to open a terminal in an aix box. The problem is when i use a sudo, the vi scroll doesnt work properly, It will scroll through the first page, but when it reaches the end, only the last line scrolls, not the whole screen, making it hard to read and work. Its like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinxor
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scrolling cursor

Hi, I'm writing scripts in perl and shell and want to add the oprion of scrolling cursor on the screen when there is no output to the screen for long time. I saw it in some script but I don't have the source code. Are anyone know how can I perform this ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

command scrolling using arrow keys

hi, can anyone tell me how to enable arrow keys to scroll thru the commands on command prompt. I am using C shell ( I know, in k shell, set -o vi would enable vi command history, but set -o doesnte exist in c shell) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

selection of context in files

I have a file like this QUEUE: <ITEM(69)> "/NLA///ACHO_EQU_IDX" Q_KEY: <ITEM(69)> "/NLA///ACHO_EQU_IDX" Q_TYPE: <VSTR(32)> "GEN_VSTR_INDEX" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scrolling text continued

Perderabo * Unix Daemon * Join Date: Aug 2001 Location: Ashburn, Virginia Posts: 9,071 Using head and tail like that is terribly inefficient. I decided to try a rewrite. Sheesh...I spent all morning on this.... Code: #! /usr/bin/ksh # # scroller --- display text, but sleep every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to view all the emails without scrolling over the screen

When I enter Solaris mail command, I get many emails on the screen on scrolling. How can I get it in one by one. BTW, if I delete the long list of emails by d command at the end, rest of the emails comes in one after other :rolleyes: Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wimaxpole
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash selection of files with similar name

Hi all, This is my first day on Linux shell!!! So, I am trying to write a script that that will pick up pairs of files with the same name (not the same content) but that are different in one character (one is *R1 the other is *R2)... Something like: look ate the files, whenever they are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALou
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)