Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting STDERR to file & terminal using tee Post 302342645 by methyl on Monday 10th of August 2009 10:56:34 AM
Old 08-10-2009
Or perhaps (if you don't mind the output from channel 1 going to the logfile as well):

Code:
. runDTE.sh 2>&1 | tee -a "$DTE_ERROR_FILE"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

'tee' STDERR output (ksh)

Hi everyone, KSH question: I know you can 'tee' STDOUT to have the output go to multiple targets; can you do the same with STDERR? For example: ls |tee /tmp/file.txt Will redirect STDOUT to both the screen and the '/tmp/file.txt' file. Is there a way of doing the same thing for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for. I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron... Ex: ./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumgi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to "tee" stderr

In other words, print on both the screen and to a file (minus stdout)? Thanks again in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with Stderr and tee command

Hello All, I have a requirement to redirect stdout and stderr to 'log' file and stderr alone to 'err' file. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)