Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy the latest file to a directory Post 302342504 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 10th of August 2009 04:16:35 AM
Old 08-10-2009
Code:
cp `ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1` <destination>

The `` causes the command within to be evaluated and the output then used in it's place.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the latest file from a folder

Hi, I have a problem. I have some text files in a folder. The names can be like: emp_20080307053015.dat emp_20080306053015.dat emp_20080305053015.dat emp_20080304053015.dat The date format appended is like yyyymmdd and timestamp. What i need is i have to copy the latest file every... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswarth
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy the latest file in the remote server's directory

Hi Expert Team, I performed the below piece of code to copy the latest file in the remote server's directory to the same server's other directory. But it is not working properly. How can i handle this? Can you please help me..? ssh ${REMOTE_USERID}@${REMOTE_HOSTNAME} "cp -p `ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to copy latest file using SFTP

Hi All, In my unix server, I have the following files: h1.txt h2.txt h3.txt and through SFTP i need to copy only the latest file to another unix server. Can you please let me know what command i need to use. Thanks in Advance, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy latest generated file

Hi, There is csv file generated at /usr/data on server1 on monthly basis. It is in the format reportYYYYDD(e.g 201105). I needed a script which would copy the latest generated file from the location to another server at /usr/loc Please can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alok Ranjan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy the latest (last file) in given folder

#!/bin/bash for i in {1..1536..1} do #find /home/test/Desktop/up111/workplace/Malware/$i/logs for a in /home/test/Desktop/up111/workplace/Malware/$i/logs/* do #max=a for b in /home/test/Desktop/up111/workplace/Malware/$i/logs/* do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need to copy the latest file from Unix server to Shared folder

Hi All, One job in unix server will generate .csv files daily. I need to copy the latest of these .csv file from the unix server to the shared drive/folder in windows through unix script. My shared folder will look something like W:\some folder(for example). Could any one of you please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaya@123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies
TAIL(1) 								FSF								   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - output the last part of files SYNOPSIS
tail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the last 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --retry keep trying to open a file even if it is inaccessible when tail starts or if it becomes inaccessible later -- useful only with -f -c, --bytes=N output the last N bytes -f, --follow[={name|descriptor}] output appended data as the file grows; -f, --follow, and --follow=descriptor are equivalent -F same as --follow=name --retry -n, --lines=N output the last N lines, instead of the last 10 --max-unchanged-stats=N with --follow=name, reopen a FILE which has not changed size after N (default 5) iterations to see if it has been unlinked or renamed (this is the usual case of rotated log files) --pid=PID with -f, terminate after process ID, PID dies -q, --quiet, --silent never output headers giving file names -s, --sleep-interval=S with -f, sleep for approximately S seconds (default 1.0) between iterations. -v, --verbose always output headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If the first character of N (the number of bytes or lines) is a `+', print beginning with the Nth item from the start of each file, other- wise, print the last N items in the file. N may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1024, m for 1048576 (1 Meg). With --follow (-f), tail defaults to following the file descriptor, which means that even if a tail'ed file is renamed, tail will continue to track its end. This default behavior is not desirable when you really want to track the actual name of the file, not the file descrip- tor (e.g., log rotation). Use --follow=name in that case. That causes tail to track the named file by reopening it periodically to see if it has been removed and recreated by some other program. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tail is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tail programs are properly installed at your site, the command info tail should give you access to the complete manual. tail (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 TAIL(1)