Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Email Alerts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Email Alerts Post 302342498 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 10th of August 2009 04:02:01 AM
Old 08-10-2009
You can add the following line to your script to send emails:
Code:
echo "Here is some text" | /usr/bin/mailx -s "some subject line" me@mydomain.com

If you only need to know when it's finished and don't care about the success or failure, the above line at the end of the script will work.

If you want more info or smarts, you can wrap some logic around your perl /appcfg/... lines to see if they exit OK (exit code = 0) or an error (exit code != 0) and make the appropriate action accordingly.

However, cron has some builtin smarts that will have it email the owner of the job automatically if it produces any output and remain silent if not. It could be sufficient to just have clean.pl produce output if it hits an issue.
Or if you just need a notification, end your script with:
Code:
echo "done at `date`"

Or something like that...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Email Alerts

Dear Network Masters, I want to know who brought up the concept of Email Alerts Feature. are their any RFC's on Email Alerts???? Please let me know. Thanks in Adv, meti (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokmeti
1 Replies

2. Solaris

configure solaris 10 mail to relay email alerts from SAN switch

I want to be able to use an account on a solaris 10 server, eg root@myhost to act as a relay to forward mail to my domain account me@mycompany.com The reason for this is to configure root@myhost as a mail relay on Brocade SAN switches - so that when a port goes bad i get an email alert.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibidee
0 Replies

3. AIX

email alerts for memory or cpu exceeding thresholds

Hi Guys, I hope this is an easy question: I need some kind of script or an idea how I can convince syslog to send an email to root or someone else once cpu usage exceeds 95% or the memory consumption (maybe via AVM value times 4k) exceeds 85% of my real memory on any of my 700 lpars. We're... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

df -k Alerts

Hi - I would like to send an e-mail alerts if in the output below capacity reaches to 80% and 90% df -k /d500/oracle /d905/oracle /d805/oracle /d705/oracle Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/abcde_raid5_db/d500 52428800... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niraj_bhatt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic to send email alerts only 5 times a day

Hi, I have written below disk space monitoring script to monitor disk space every minute. I have scheduled this script through cron. But now my problem is this script alerts the users continuously until the space is freed up. These emails are filling up the inbox exponentially until the space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
3 Replies

6. Solaris

ALOM Email Alerts

Hi I'm new to this forum and I was hoping you can help me with this strange activity. I have a Sol10 sun4u sparc SunFireV250 machine. Currently running ALOM 1.6.8 firmware. The following error was experienced on this machine: "Input power unavailable for PSU @ PS0" Reading the documention... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: La-Paloma78
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email alerts whenever someone logs into server via SSH any user?

Hi all, Thanks in Advance!! I dont know how to start to write script for this process, my requirement is if any user logs into server automatically Admin get mail alert. how is this possible? any one guide me to complete this process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
1 Replies

8. AIX

Will it affect my AIX LPAR security, when i set up email alerts on AIX server.

Hello, I've set up email alerts on AIX Servers. so that i can get email notifications (via mail relay server) when ever there is abnormal behavior. for example 1) my script monitors CPU/disk/memory etc... when it reaches high water ark, it will send an email alert. 2) disk usage alerts 3)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. AIX

Would like to get email alerts when user password going to expire

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script, which will send email alerts to Admin/users when users password is going to expire in 15 days. Can you please help me with the script. thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email attachment using Operating System Script(UNIX) in Oracle Alerts

Good Day Kindly assist: I am creating an Alert that will notify supervisors of staff members who are due for probation report. I am using Operating System Script(Unix) as source.I have already developed the script. Now the challenge is if there are 3 employee records then the alert... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosi27
2 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)