Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Book Recommendation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Book Recommendation Post 302342361 by bakunin on Sunday 9th of August 2009 06:15:41 AM
Old 08-09-2009
The subforum with the book recommendations is writable for the staff only. If someone has a good recommendation to make it will be transferred there upon review. In other words: you have were absolutely correct in placing your question here.

If you want to learn the general principles about kernel workings i suggest you do not read a book about Unix but about operating systems principles. I took the most out of Prof. Andrew Tanenbaums "Modern Operating Systems" (Pearson Prentice Hall, 2007, ISBN 0136006639, 9780136006633), which covers all these principles. It explains the basic problems (processes competing for resources, management of filespace, etc.) every OS is a (different) solution to.

If you want to see these principles in action i suggest reading "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" (Prentice-Hall, 1987, ISBN 136374069, 9780136374060). it was the book which started Linux when Linus Torvalds took the commented source code for an OS it includes and used this to start developing his own OS. Originally the book was written as a script to Prof. Tanenbaums lecture about OS design. The first volume is laying out the principles of kernel architecture (things like "how does a scheduler work"), the second volume is a commented source code for a Unix-like kernel called "Minix", which puts the knowledge of vol.1 into practice.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recommendation please. Unix base ftp program

in win32 platform, i can easily find some GUI based ftp application like cuteFtp, WsFtp and etc which provides GUI + resuming download. pls recommend me some similar application which runs on Sun Solaris sparc 8. hopefully it is free. thank you very much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix book reference

Does anyone here have a favorite? I just wanted to find a reliable book which is meaty in content and still easily understandable.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarin14
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Book Recommendation for Solaris Perf Monitoring?

I'm looking for a good Solaris performance monitoring book. I work primarily with Solaris 9, but will also be working with 10, so a dtrace chapter would also be good. Any insight would be much appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix beginner book help

Due to my new job I need to learn Unix to advance in the company and I am mainly a windows and mac user. What is a good book to get me started on the right path and hopefully prevent me from wasting money on several books and weeks of reading. Any response is welcomed thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windowsux
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for unix book

hello everyone, i wish to know anyone have any recommended good book about unix from for beginner until advanced? i wish to buy just 1 book, that include most of the useful part. i just review a book name "UNIX - in the nutshell 4th edition", is it suitable for me as a newbie? If not, any else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuwfan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Book

OK Guys! I need a top of the line unix system administration book for newbies! help! thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disturbe_d
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Book For the Unix shell

Dear Friend, please let me know the good book of the unix shell... have a great day uday naikwadi 9960496522 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udayn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

use full book for unix

can some one tell me the name of the book or some use full link for a unix commands(advanced) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good book on Unix

Please suggest me few good books on Unix. I have currently purchased Unix Power Tools. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Beginner's Book

I am a beginner and have recently started to study unix. I checked some of the posts on this forum just to check if a new member like me can easily be guided and found it very interesting. This seems like a great place where i can get answer to my doubts and questions. I checked the thread for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaal
1 Replies
DERIVATIONS(7)						Derivations of Applied Mathematics					    DERIVATIONS(7)

NAME
derivations - book: Derivations of Applied Mathematics DESCRIPTION
Understandably, program sources rarely derive the mathematical formulas they use. Not wishing to take the formulas on faith, a user might nevertheless reasonably wish to see such formulas somewhere derived. Derivations of Applied Mathematics is a book which documents and derives many of the mathematical formulas and methods implemented in free software or used in science and engineering generally. It documents and derives the Taylor series (used to calculate trigonometrics), the Newton-Raphson method (used to calculate square roots), the Pythagorean theorem (used to calculate distances) and many others. READING THE BOOK
Among other ways, you can read the book on your computer screen by opening the file /usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.ps.gz with the gv(1) program under X(7). To print the book on a standard postscript printer, just zcat(1) then lpr(1) the same file. FILES
/usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.ps.gz the book in postscript format /usr/share/doc/derivations/derivations.pdf.gz the book in PDF BUGS
The book is a work in progress. AUTHOR
The book and this manpage are written by Thaddeus H. Black, who also maintains the Debian package derivations in which they are distrib- uted. Users who need to contact the author in his role as Debian package maintainer can reach him at <thb@debian.org>. However, most e- mail will naturally be about the book itself: this should be sent to <thb@derivations.org>. COPYLEFT
Copyright (C) 1983-2010 Thaddeus H. Black. The book, this manpage and the entire derivations distribution are free software. You can redistribute them and/or modify them under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2. SEE ALSO
gv(1) [gv], zcat(1) [gzip], psselect(1) [psutils], lpr(1) [lpr], octave(1) [octave] Thaddeus H. Black 10 March 2010 DERIVATIONS(7)