Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check for a New Directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for a New Directory Post 302342323 by almeidamik on Saturday 8th of August 2009 07:53:09 PM
Old 08-08-2009
Thanks kshji. Yea, I didn't use your method. I will probably forget and then will be like why it is not working. ^^" Considering, the upgrades will not happen regularly. So, that was an issue. :P However, maybe I can use the same trick for something else. ^^

Thanks KenJackson. Yea, that did the trick. I used -m option in the inotifywait rather than do the while loop. If you made new directories like 3 at a time then it would not work; however, -m did the trick. ^^ Plus, I was able to use it for other events too. So, it was a pretty good utility for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check directory space?

Is there some command I can use to check to see if there is 2 Gig of space available in a directory before I created a 2 Gig file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if directory exists

Hi, I need to prompt for a response from a user to enter a path read dest_dir?"Please Enter Directory :" How do I do this until a valid directory is entered by the user. I can use to check the existence of the directory. However when I try the following I cannot get it to work. while ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check directory size

how say I have directory how can I get the directory size in mega and if it less then 1 mega so byts Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check for a directory

Hi, what is the command to in unix shell to find whether a particular direcory is existing or not ? example: i am now in ~/scripts directory and want to find if a direcory called 'log' exists or not from a shell scripts. can somebody please help. thanks, sateesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether the directory is empty or not

I have the list of users in user.log, under each user folder there is sub1 folder is there. i want to check whether sub1 is empty or not, if it is empty i have to skip that user user folder and iterate next user folders. i have the sample code,its not giving not proper results. while read line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty Directory Check

Hi All, I have a requirement to check all the files in a directory and mail non empty files Files are in csv format , i need to skip header while checking pls help Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for directory

Hi trying to read directory name and compare if exist or not,haw can I do that thanks #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter: " read var find . -name "$var" -type f (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if something is a file, directory or other?

I want to know how you would go about checking if something is either a file or a directory. mostly for argument validation stuff. I know -d is to see if its a directory but im guessing -f is for files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Waffles
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check whether a Directory is empty or not

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1.pls tell me the command for checking whether a given directory is empty or not . 2. can i check what is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upvan111
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory check

How can i check in shell script if the file is coming from same directory as previous file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
3 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)                                                 System Administration                                                SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)