Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted Post 302342234 by vwgtiturbo on Saturday 8th of August 2009 03:15:33 AM
Old 08-08-2009
FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted

Hello again, I have a script on my media server that wakes up my backup server, performs an 'rsync' backup, then shuts the backup server down. Currently, I have it send the Wake on LAN packet, and sleep for 5 minutes, just to give the backup server time to boot (of course it doesn't take that long, but just in case...). It occurred to me today that that isn't always going to cut it, in the sense that after so many days, the filesystem gets run through fsck (which takes a bit of time on these monster drives).
So, the question... Is it possible to include in a script, maybe a ping mechanism that can be run, then based on the results, determine if the remote server is booted or not? I did some reading on 'ping' (remember, I did use FNG in the title Smilie ) and the man page made a mention of using ping's exit status to determine if a server was up or not, but I honestly am not clear on exactly how I would implement that (i.e. if I used:

if [ ping remotehost ]
then blahblah
else blahblahblah
fi

would that necessarily be looking for the exit code 0 (successful), or am I just way out there? The example above seems to be missing something, but... Thanks again, you guys/girls are a great help!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh: test $? on remote system.

Hi, a little help. I need to test the return code of a list file command on a remote system (Unix) using the rsh command. More exactly, to test is a directory exists, I try the following command: rsh $remoteHost "ls -la " $DirRemote Now, if the $DirRemote is not correct and I test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

execute a script on test server from dev server

I need to execute a script from dev server which is located on Test server.I can use ftp to connect to dev server and from there how can i execute a command on test server. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. Programming

SFTP from one remote server to another remote server from desktop

Hi, I have 1. lappy 2. server A 3. server B Now, what i need is to run a command from lappy that will sftp a file from server A to server B. Please guide me to achieve this. -akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test if Remote server is up and running before SFTP'ing files (in batch mode)

Hello, In our Data Warehouse environment, before our batch SFTP jobs kick off to pull the files from remote servers, I would like to setup a pre-sftp job that would test if all the remote servers from where the files are being pulled, are up and running. If any one of the remote serer is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dippu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo connect to a remote server and execute scripts in remote server

Hello Every one!! I am trying to write a shell script which will connect to a remote server and execute scripts which are at a certain path in the remote server. Before this I am using a sudo command to change the user. The place where I am stuck is, I am able to connect to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masubram
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to test if remote dir exist?

Hello, :) I'm trying to test if a remote directory exist per ssh, I have already made a ssh key and it works : #!/bin/bash HOST="10.10.1.22" FILE_PATH="/var/wwww/html" ssh -q $HOST ] && echo "Directory exists" || echo "Directory does not exist"; Output : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
asadmin-ping-connection-pool(1AS)				   User Commands				 asadmin-ping-connection-pool(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-ping-connection-pool, ping-connection-pool - tests that a connection pool is usable SYNOPSIS
ping-connection-pool --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] pool_name Tests that a connection pool is usable for both JDBC connection pools and connector connection pools. For example, if you create a new JDBC connection pool for use with an application that is expected to be deployed, before deploying the application, the previously created pool is tested with this command. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. OPERANDS
poolname name of the connection pool to be tested. Example 1: Using ping-connection-pool Before you can ping a connection pool, you must: o Create a connection pool with authentication. o Make sure the Enterprise Information Server (can be the database) is started. asadmin> ping-connection-pool --user admin1 --password adminadmin1 --host pigeon --port 5001 sampleConnectionPool Command ping-connection-pool executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-connector-connection-pool(1AS), asadmin-delete-connector-connection-pool(1AS), asadmin-list-connector-connection-pool(1AS), asadmin-create-jdbc-connection-pool(1AS), asadmin-delete--jdbc-connection-pool(1AS)asadmin- list--jdbc-connection-pools(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-ping-connection-pool(1AS)