Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Most deadly commands on Unix/Linux !! Post 302342167 by zxmaus on Friday 7th of August 2009 04:13:03 PM
Old 08-07-2009
since this week I go for
Code:
kill -9 -1

in the hands of a newbie root user. He thought it is a good idea to do that as root - it took me the entire week to restore the production database (46 TB restore from tape)...

zxmaus

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maingrame to UNIX sending UNIX commands

I want to know if there is a way to send unix commands thru FTP from a mainframe to kick off Autosys Jobs. I just need to send a command from the mainframe to UNIX and have UNIX execute that command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skammer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands in linux-red hat

hi, can i have a unix like environment where i can do things like chmod, shell scripts and etc.. in redhat instead of the GUI that redhat ofters? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

All Linux and Unix commands Links

http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands

This is my first time using this forum. My question is simple. I need a book that has the commands code for Linux, if there is such a book, of course. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ropapi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Name 10 commands every Linux and Unix admin should know

I'm working on further developing my Unix skills and I'm just curious what some of the experienced admins out there would consider to be 10 essential commands every admin should know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkitech
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two file (please help me it's deadly urgent)

I have many files with info about soft, installed on remote machines. I need to compare this file with template (soft than must be installed) and output file must content info about software that's not installed. template.txt software_name1 software_name2 software_name3.1 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cintlt
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux Commands

Hi All I have found that few basic commands in unix have the same syntax in linux as well. I need those commands which differ on Linux platform, with some more advanced options.. For example... awk, sed, tr ... and some more commands with advanced options. I am trying to search on the linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the best way to remember UNIX / Linux Commands?

Hi all, I'm new to UNIX world and new to this forum. As I observed there are lot of commands that needs to be remembered in UNIX programming. I'm into DevOps and can anyone please tell me what are all the important commands that are useful for DevOps Engineer. NOTE: Please correct me if my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlink
3 Replies
FLEXBACKUP(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FLEXBACKUP(1)

NAME
flexbackup - a flexible backup/archiving tool SYNOPSIS
flexbackup [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
Flexbackup is a perl script front-end to various low-level archiving utilities such as tar, dump/restore, cpio, and others. BACKUP OPTIONS
flexbackup -dir <dir> Backup a directory tree starting from path "path" using level 0 (full). flexbackup -set all Backup all sets defined in flexbackup.conf(5) using level 0 (full). flexbackup -set <tag> Backup a set named "tag" using level 0 (full). The set name is defined in flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -level <0-9 | full | differential | incremental> Change backup level to a number "0-9", or one of the symbolic names: "full" (level 0); "differential" (level 1); "incremental" (pre- vious backup level + 1). flexbackup [...] -pkgdelta <rpm | freebsd> Prune backup to files not part of a package or changed from distributed version. flexbackup [...] -wday <0-7> Backup only if the week day matches the input number. Sunday is 0 or 7. flexbackup [...] -pipe Write backup data to stdout rather than file/device. flexbackup [...] -ignore-errors Continue backups even if commands return error status RESTORE OPTIONS
flexbackup -list List files in archive. flexbackup -extract Extract (restore) all files from archive into your current working directory. flexbackup -extract -flist <filelist> Extract (restore) the files listed in text file "filelist" into your current working directory. flexbackup -extract -onefile <filename> Extract (restore) the single file named "filename" into your current working directory. flexbackup -compare Compare the archive with the files in your current working directory. flexbackup -restore Interactive restore (dump type only for now). flexbackup [...] -num <n> Read file number "n" from tape. If not given uses current tape position. flexbackup [...] <archive> If archiving to files rather than a device, use file named "archive" for the list/extract/compare/restore operations. flexbackup [...] -pipe Read backup data from stdin rather than file/device. INDEXING OPTIONS
flexbackup -toc List current device's table of contents. flexbackup -toc all List all known table of contents. flexbackup -toc <key> List table of contents for specific database index key named "key". flexbackup -rmindex all Force delete all database index info. flexbackup -rmindex <key> Force delete specified database tape/dir index key named "key". flexbackup -rmindex <key:file> Force delete specified database tape/dir index key named "key", file number "file". MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS
flexbackup -newtape Erase and create new index key (but don't do any backups). flexbackup -rmfile all If archiving to files rather than device, remove all files and index information. flexbackup -rmfile <file> If archiving to files rather than device, remove the file named "file" and its index information. flexbackup [...] -c <file.conf> Use file named "file.conf" for configuration information instead of /etc/flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -type <type> Override $type setting from config file with "type". flexbackup [...] -compress <type> Override $compress setting from config file with "type". flexbackup [...] -device <device> Override $device setting from config file with "device". flexbackup [...] -d <'setting=value'> Override $setting setting from config file with "value". flexbackup -dir <dir> -erase Force a rewind/erase before backup of directory named "dir". flexbackup -dir <dir> -norewind Do not rewind tape after a single backup of directory named "dir". flexbackup -set <tag> -noreten Do not retension tape for level 0 (full) backups of set named "tag". flexbackup -set <tag> -noerase Do not rewind/erase tape for level 0 (full) backups of set named "tag". flexbackup [...] -reten Force a retension of tape before reading. flexbackup [...] -defaults Do not use any default values for config variables. flexbackup -version Display version and exit. TESTING
/DEBUGGING OPTIONS flexbackup -test-tape-drive Tries writing/reading files to make sure you have tape driver and parameters set up correctly in flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -n Don't run actual dump or mt commands, just print the steps that would be taken (dry run). flexbackup [...] -type filelist Run a special backup type that just saves a list of files that would have been archived. FILES
/etc/flexbackup.conf - configuration settings REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to (flexbackup-help@lists.sourceforge.net) AUTHOR
Written by Edwin Huffstutler (edwinh@computer.org) SEE ALSO
flexbackup.conf(5) afio(1) mt(1) tar(1) star(1) cpio(1) dump(1) restore(1) buffer(1) mbuffer(1) Flexbackup Oct 2003 FLEXBACKUP(1)