Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA Post 302342110 by methyl on Friday 7th of August 2009 11:41:27 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Assuming you have read permissions to userA's files:
One way (with cpio). This method is described in both "man find" and "man cpio".

Code:
cd /home/userA
find . -type f -print|cpio -pdumv /temp1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy specified files from list of files from dir A to dir B

Hello, fjalkdsjfkldsajflkajdskl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmeesara
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files to new dir

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting so I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. The script I'm trying to do saves all the files (*.c) on the current dir to a list and, one by one, copies them to a new one called Backup. The thing is, if there are already other versions of the files I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G3nn
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying specific files from one dir to another

Hi Folks, I have one curious case. There are list of following files placed in one directory such as... And updated each month. files.JAN09.csv files.FEB09.csv files.MAR09.csv ..... Now, I need to move a specific files; i.e, For this month, I need to move only OCT09, NOV09, DEC09,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Copying files

Hello :) can someone please help me with this task: I am in the shell, in folder "Main" below the folder Main are sub folders: "sourceA", "Source B", and "target" in sourceA and source B are files, and in folder "Main" is a textfile, with filenames, one filename per line. I need a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y-T
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

sudo from userA to userB

Hi all I am trying to get this user db2s12 to be able to sudo as user sapr3 to run the sapr3 commands I have tried so many options with my sudoers file but the single response I get is this : password for db2s12: H99A100:db2s12 53> sudo su - sapr3 password for db2s12: Sorry, try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to new dir structure.

I am trying to figure out a way to script copying specific files from one dir structure to another. I have a dir structure like this: dira/author 1/book 1/file a.epub /book 2/file b.epub /author 2/book 1/file c.epub /author 3/book 1/file d.epub /book 2/file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcanas
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copying files into dir inside for loop

Hi , I'm trying to move/copy the files inside the loop into a directory . I tried the below code and the issue is the data is not copying into the created directory but the files are copying into another file file_path="/home/etc" Last_Day=20130930 mkdir $file_path/ARC_${Last_Day} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another

I'm writing a Perl script which has its 1st step as to copy files from one directory to another directory. The Source directory has got files with extension, without extension, directories etc. But I want to copy ONLY files with no extension. The files with extensions and directories should not get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for files owned by particular owner and group

I am searchingfor files owned by particular owner and group in a particular directory including its sub-directories. I use find <dir> -user <user> -group <group> -exec ls -l {} \; It does not work completely. In the sense is a subdirectory is owned by 'user' and group 'group' then all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
9 Replies

10. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)