Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files to a different server without Permission level change.. Post 302342050 by zaxxon on Friday 7th of August 2009 09:44:23 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Quote:
The problem is in the other server, I am trying to copy the files from the tar ...
How do you copy them? Do you add a -p to your copy command, whichever you use?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying files between 2 Unix server

Is there a simple way to copy data from one server to a different server? Seems that if 2 servers are on the same network, there should be a simple way to copy between the two. Not just one file. I need to copy a whole directory with subdirectories from one server to a different one. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingfei2006
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change files permission on Remote machine

I would like to change permissions recursively on a remote folder. Seems like sftp has a limitation, I am only able to change permission on a individual file.. sftp > chmod 777 /usr/local/apache/docs/test.txt It would be great if someone has more knowledge on how this is doable recursively? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almeisan1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a list of files from one 'server' to another?

I have two servers. I would like to copy some files from one directory on server A into the same directory on server B. Its not all the files in in the directory, just some of them. Is there a way to make a file list in a txt file and then somehow copy all the files in that list in one go to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission for a set of files

Hi there, I want to change from this permission -r-xr-xr-x to -r-xr-xr-- for a set of files under unix. Can someone help me to go-about doing this in one shot. Cheers, RN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one server to other.

Any one advice here- need to copy some files from one server to other server thru shell programming. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samkhu
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from different server

Is there any option to copy files from a different server other than using an SCP command??? thanks,:b: Arun manas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from one server to another

I need to copy huge set of data(files & floder) from one server to other. Can any one guide me.I have tried throught ftp mget but it is vain...floder are not moving...... Do suggest me any good method (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the files to Windows server from UNIX server

Hi Team, I had a requirement to write a shell script which automatically transfer the files from unix server to windows server. I can able to unix to unix using Scp command. I am not sure how to do unix to windows. I am very new on this concept. Could you please help me or guide in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to remote server

I am trying to copy code to remote server, doing something like this However it is copying one file and than the script exits i=0; j=0 while read fn; do dir=${fn%/*} # Gets directory path fnm=${fn##*/} # Gets filename excl. path rgx_nwk="s/${nwk}/${nwk}.sac/g" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)