Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can SunOS be virtualized?
Operating Systems Solaris Can SunOS be virtualized? Post 302341974 by sbk1972 on Friday 7th of August 2009 05:09:21 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Live / DR failover, assumes shared storage, mutual SAN, or some sort of replication. Storage to oneside, zones will allow you to move the application, as would RSF / SunCluster clustering software. So, clustering would cater for your needs too.

Centralised storage might be a bigger problem, as the live and dr systems will be in different physical locations ? Different IP addresses ??

Containers / zones - containers has some sort of resource control i.e. number of cpus / memory, zones are like containers but a more fluid set of resource controls.

Im currently do the same thing as you, looking at creating a DR of my live server, using zones / RSF.

SBK

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Facebook Meets the Virtualized Enterprise

HPL-2008-72 Facebook Meets the Virtualized Enterprise - Curry, Roger; Kiddie, Cameron; Markatchev, Nayden; Simmonds, Rob; Tan, Tingxi; Arlitt, Martin; Walker, Bruce Keyword(s): social networking, Web 2.0, cloud computing Abstract: "Web 2.0" and "cloud computing" are revolutionizing the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions

Good day, everyone, and thanks first off for reading my question. So, I have been Googling and reading oracle documentation for the past couple weeks, and I am just getting more and more confused as to what I need to do, and I would really appreciate some guidance or at least pointing me to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lyxix
4 Replies

4. Linux

Unique Linux ID in virtualized environment

Hi I need to know what is the unique identifier for Linux OS even in a virtualized environment? eg like Machine GUID for windows. I need to know something similar for linux, AIX, Solaris in virtualized environment. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)