Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Scripting Post 302341955 by Smiling Dragon on Friday 7th of August 2009 03:45:49 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Hi Madanmeer,

If you want to learn a scripting language that will work in most other shells, learn bourne (/sbin/sh). Bash and Korn (and many others) completely support all Bourne syntax. Bash and Korn add some addition functionality which is very handy but that means that some functions in them won't work with each other or Bourne.

If you intend to work entirely on Solaris, it's relatively safe to work in ksh but I always prefer to use Bourne if at all possible Smilie

I would also applaud your idea to look into Perl, it's a very useful language, but would suggest that you instead look into Python. I learned Perl and never got round to learning Python but I'm told by people who's opinion I value highly that it's superior to Perl.

In addition, try to get a basic understanding of sed and awk to assist your shell scripting. Awk in particular is very powerful and can do a great deal on it's own, but even if you only learn how to search and print with it, it'll help you greatly.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your endevour and feel free to drop by and ask us if you get stuck on anything Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting

:confused: I need to find a place or places on the Internet where I can find UNIX scripts to view and to modify to make life easy on the UNIX environment. Can someone help me on this. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help With Unix Scripting.

Can anybody tell me the best way to learn unix scripting.can you recommend a good book.Please help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hella
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix scripting pl help

Hi All, I am new to Unix Scripting. I have below scenario. I need to write a Unix function with the following. 1. I have table. From this table I need to write a query. SELECT Col1(File_nm),Col2(From_Loc),Col3(To_Loc) FROM A WHERE CONDITION For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sree11
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me Out in unix scripting

Hello every one, plz help me out. I m using 4 files in unix, like file1, file2, file3,file4 in which primary key is ID in column(field) of 4 files. On the bases of ID, i want the corresponding field of 4 files in final file let say collected file. In collected file, ID column should occur only one... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaprus
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Scripting

Hi Gurus, I am a system admin in solaris field and ive planned to study unix scripting.ive planned to start reading Mastering Unix scripting by randal.Scripts in that are based on Korn shell(ksh).my question is whether the same scripts can be applied to other shells like bash etc..And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting

how to check if a unix script gets executed without errors across all unix platforms. incase if a script gets executed without errors only one platform say AIX, what needs to be done to that script such that it will run all unix platforms like linux, hp, sun etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix scripting

i need help with this problem this is the problem: Write a script that logs how many users login on/off the system over a 5 minute period. It can run in the foreground, and run 4 times a minute. Set a trap that will not allow a CNTRL-C command, and if a CNTRL-C is excuted store the time and date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sportsmansixty6
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripting

LIST=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/xeeno_scrpts/temp/tempfile ERRORDIR=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/error_directory EMAILFILE=/home/xxxxxxx/ABC/xeeno_scrpts/temp/emailfile echo "There were errors in the following report file for Xeenos:" > $EMAILFILE echo >> $EMAILFILE echo "This files have been moved to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcarosi
9 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)