Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting understanding the sed command Post 302341918 by mac4rfree on Friday 7th of August 2009 02:24:06 AM
Old 08-07-2009
peterro and fmurphy, both of you are correct. when the value is assigned to the variable b, it will be \\/clocal\\/dctrdata\\/user\\/dctrdat1\\/trdroot\\/recouncil.

But because of the echo statement below, one of the \ is taken as escape character.

if we do

Code:
d02 $echo \\/
\/

This is what is happening.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in understanding this command

Hi All, I search the forum for my query, Glad that got solution to it. But i really want to understand how does this command work. sed -e ':a' -e 's/\("*\),\(*"\)/\1~\2/;ta' Basically it is replacing all the comma(,) characters in between quotes with a tilde. Specially what does ':a' ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the kill command

Hi Guys, I like to know if i have a process which triggers 10 different child processes. How to identify out of the 11 processes running which is the parent process and what are the child process? And if i kill the parent process will the child process be killed.. if not is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help understanding sed

I am trying to create a basic script that converts an Oracle script into a Sybase script. The only things im changing are Datatypes and the to_char and to_date functions. I am not really 100% sure of the way it works. I have tried running the functions through a loop to replace each word line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding nm command output

After running nm command on any object file from out put can we get to know that wheather a symbol is a call to a function or definition of function ? I am searching a class and function definitions inside many .so files. I have 3 files which contain the symbol but I don't know wheather they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding sed

Hi, can some one suggest me,how "sed" is managed to delete the second field here. Any explanation on , how the below code is working would be appreciated. sed 's/^\(*\)::/\1::/' /etc/passwd sed 's/*:/:/2' /etc/passwd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)