Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting URGENT : vi doesn't read my .exrc Post 302341888 by mrtiller on Thursday 6th of August 2009 11:26:06 PM
Old 08-07-2009
Several things you might want to check:

1. make sure VIMINIT is not set if you intend to use EXINIT.
VIMINIT takes precedence over EXINIT.

2. After you invoke vi, try the following ex command (type ":" first):

Code:
so $HOME/.exrc

This is not meant to be a permanent fix, but at least it will tell you if .exrc can be sourced and if it works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent!!!Read directory from a file

I have a receive script file which had lots of direcorties to process,but now,I don't want to hardcode them,I need input the directory name in a Property.txt file,then write shell code to read the directory name from Property.txt to the script file so I can get flexible on it.But when I ran the sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop w/ a nested if statement - doesn't treat each entry individually

Hi - Trying to take a list of ldap suffixes in a file, run an ldapsearch command on them, then run a grep command to see if it's a match, if not, then flag that and send an email alert. The list file (ldaplist) would look like - *********** o=company a o=company b *********** **... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent -read exit status

i have written a shell script that invokes main class of a java prg. the java prg does a System.exit(0) or (1) based on condition. how can i read or check the status in unix.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamcool
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script doesn´t read last line

hi, i have a file with 5 lines, like this: 068|3|20080331|P|21090|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|0 068|3|20080331|P| |6|0|0|0|0|0|0|0 068|3|20080331|P|21040|7|0|233|105|161|6157|6656|101 068|3|20080331|P| |T|188842|33996|14543|3226|7193|247800|298 068|3|20080331|T|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp -b doesn't read the batchfile

Several of our end-users need to send a file to our insurance carrier using ssh and sftp. We've put together a Windows VBS script that opens the ssh tunnel and calls sftp with the -b option pointing to a batch script in the same directory, however sftp doesn't seems to be reading from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmw
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.exrc is not working

Hi I want to customise my vi environment.So i have created a a .exrc file in my working directory and written all set commands.But when i am invoking vi ,it is not taking any effect of the vi. Can anybody have any idea what is happening Thanks in advance Regds Sas (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Why X-server doesn't read /usr/openwin/lib/locale/C/OWfontpath???

Hi all! Solaris 10. Why did X-server stop to read OWfontpath? Any suggestions. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Dual Booting - Solaris image CD doesn't read in BIOS

I am trying to install solaris 10-x86 as second OS on top of Windows XP. I have downloaded iso image from Oracle website and burned into bootable cd. when I loaded into CD-drive and made changes in BIOS to boot from CD. Its not reading from CD drive. After restarting the system with CD(solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk doesn't understand 'read' statement!!!

While working on awk programming, i found that it doesn't understand 'read' statement. Then what's the use of 'continue' and 'break' statement in awk. For ex: awk '{k=1; while (k<10) {print $0; k++}}' emp.lst Now, please say if I want to put the logic that after priting 1 line, it will ask for... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in script doesn't work

I am trying to run a script to make a simple modification to a number of similar files. The sed works, but after it runs and the differences are displayed, the script does not read ans to start a renaming script if the user answered Y or y.for i in "$@" do sed -f myfile.sed $i >$i.new diff... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
VM_MAP_LOCK(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					    VM_MAP_LOCK(9)

NAME
vm_map_lock, vm_map_unlock, vm_map_lock_read, vm_map_unlock_read, vm_map_trylock, vm_map_trylock_read, vm_map_lock_upgrade, vm_map_lock_downgrade -- vm_map locking macros SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <vm/vm.h> #include <vm/vm_map.h> void vm_map_lock(vm_map_t map); void vm_map_unlock(vm_map_t map); void vm_map_lock_read(vm_map_t map); void vm_map_unlock_read(vm_map_t map); int vm_map_trylock(vm_map_t map); int vm_map_trylock_read(vm_map_t map); int vm_map_lock_upgrade(vm_map_t map); int vm_map_lock_downgrade(vm_map_t map); DESCRIPTION
The vm_map_lock() macro obtains an exclusive lock on map. The vm_map_unlock() macro releases an exclusive lock on map. The vm_map_lock_read() macro obtains a read-lock on map. The vm_map_unlock_read() macro releases a read-lock on map. The vm_map_trylock() macro attempts to obtain an exclusive lock on map. It returns FALSE if the lock cannot be immediately acquired; other- wise return TRUE with the lock acquired. The vm_map_trylock_read() macro attempts to obtain a read-lock on map. It returns FALSE if the lock cannot be immediately acquired; other- wise return TRUE with the lock acquired. The vm_map_lock_upgrade() macro attempts to atomically upgrade a read-lock on map to an exclusive lock. The vm_map_lock_downgrade() macro attempts to downgrade an exclusive lock on map to a read-lock. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Currently, all of the locking macros implement their locks as sleep locks. SEE ALSO
vm_map(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>. BSD
July 19, 2003 BSD