Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doing one thing multiple times Post 302341849 by phil_heath on Thursday 6th of August 2009 05:50:56 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Doing one thing multiple times

Hi,

I wrote a awk line here:

awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $0, int(rand()*($2-$1 + 1) + $1) }' filename

Basically what it does is that it takes the start (column 1) and stop (column 2) and generates a random # in between start and stop.

I want to take this a step further and have it generate 100 random numbers at once. How would i do that? is it called looping?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching multiple times in same line

Hi, I am stuck with pattern matching. I need to match a particular pattern several times in a same line and replace them. for ex., I need to convert (abc XY) (bvf ZY) bla bla to XY ZY bla bla I tried.. s/\(+ (.+)\)/$1/gi and it works (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coachr
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coachr
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crons executed multiple times.

For some reason my crons are being executed twice. Any suggestion?? I'm currently on 5.8 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find string multiple times, same line

Hi everybody, Fairly simple question here: I need an awk, sed, or grep command that will find the same string multiple times on one line needs to return all lines which contain .02 twice. I do know the exact number of characters in between the two occurrences of .02 if that helps, all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying same file multiple times with different names

hi, I am copying a file from 1 folder to another in /bin/sh. if the file already exists there, it should get copied as filename1. again if copying next time it shouldget copied as filename2.. , filename3..so on.. The problem is i am able to get uptil filename1.. but how do i know what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackcat
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Multiple Times ?

hey mates, I was wondering if someone could assist me with this one, I have couple scripts that I would like to invoke from .sh ( One after another ) Script1 Script2 Script3 Is it possible to run script 2 after script one finished running ? And again start script 3 after script 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Column Multiple Times

Hello, I wonder if it my problem can be solved. Inside File1.txt, there are 3 columns. Inside File 2.txt, contain certain variable(in this case, only "3"). So I want to : (copy File 1 x Variable in File 2). Expected result are File 3.txt. Any help are really appreciated. File 1.txt -92.033... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help using one variable multiple times

I apologize for the title but I am not even sure myself what to call this. I am going to use an example of a pizza delivery. I need to make an interactive script that allows users to order a certain number of pizzas, and then choose what they want on each pizza. Here is my code so far.... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstadnyk1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert one charactor multiple times in VI

Hi Gurus, I forgot the command which can insert one character multiple times. for example: I need 50 "#" #############... I used the command before, it is very convenient. anybody can help this. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Torhong
1 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD