Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process indicator with hash marks Post 302341772 by mglenney on Thursday 6th of August 2009 02:37:49 PM
Old 08-06-2009
One thing I've seen implemented in the past is some sort of message and/or icon that indicates there is something going on in the background. Not necessarily a progress meter, but just something that says "Hey, I'm busy, gimme a sec". You could have a pop-up box or a div that shows a spinning hour glass and the text "Working...".

This would indicate to your users that something is happening in the background and they should wait. It doesn't tell them how far along the process is but it should be enough to just tell them to be patient. If you don't do anything but wait people will assume they've lost connection or there's a problem with the server (which is probably why you posted the message in the first place).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress indicator script

Can anybody suggest you a good script to show progress of a process. I figured it out some thing like this. But cursor goes to the end of the line and after every loop it goes to the next line. while true ; do for i in \| \/ \- \\ \| \/ \- \\ do echo "\b\b$i \c" sleep 1 done done (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hash marks when running tar or zip from Cshell

Does anyone know how to get hash marks (or some other visual indicator) to print to the screen during tar or zip commands run from within a Cshell on Sun or Linux? Currently the user receives no indication that a command is running and cannot be sure that a problem has not occurred. I can find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash - using a range as a hash key.

Hi, In Perl, is it possible to use a range of numbers with '..' as a key in a hash? Something in like: %hash = ( '768..1536' => '1G', '1537..2560' => '2G' ); That is, the range operation is evaluated, and all members of the range are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsw
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to output ones (like zero-fill), with progress indicator

Well, I was originally going to post this snippet in the original thread titled "how to output ones endlessly like /dev/zero", but that topic was closed without an efficient answer. It was difficult to find (build) a satisfactory answer to this one, so I thought I'd share it here and as a "fill... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gliktch
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Protecting variable indicator ($) from expansion

Hello, I use a lot this command to edit a bunch of files at once find . -name filename" | xargs -ifoo sh -c 'echo foo ; sed "s/pattern1/pattern2/" foo > ./tmp ; mv -f ./tmp foo' I'm trying to put a function on my .bashrc file. function loopSed() { local filename=$1 local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phollox
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically parse BibTeX and create hash of hash

Hello gurus, Iam trying to parse following BibTex file (bibliography.bib): @book{Lee2000a, abstract = {Abstract goes here}, author = {Lee, Wenke and Stolfo, Salvatore J}, title = {{Data mining approaches for intrusion detection}}, year = {2000} } @article{Forrest1996, abstract =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print hash of hash in table format

Hi, I have a hash of hash where it has name, activities and count i have data like this - $result->{$name}->{$activities} = $value; content of that are - name - robert tom cat peter activities - running, eating, sleeping , drinking, work i need to print output as below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid(in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int* statPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and doesn't want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process hasn't exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs doesn't wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it isn't necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)