Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running external script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running external script Post 302341515 by zaxxon on Thursday 6th of August 2009 05:20:35 AM
Old 08-06-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return info from a called external script

New to Unix scripting and have written two scripts, one calling the other. When it returns to the calling script is it possible to return information, like a return code? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cathrop
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible to call external script?

Hi Is it possible to have a bash script call an external bash script? For instance, I have a series of monitor scripts that check for running services (such as httpd, postmaster). Each monitor script is individual to the service. If a service fails, I would like to have a larger script that goes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

querry ..including external shell script

is there any way to include one shell script into other like include in c apart from putting it in a function (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

importing functions from an external bash script

Hi all, I'm trying to import some functions I have saved in a file named functions.sh into a different script (protocol.sh). Can anybody show me how to do this? I tried source functions.sh as I would do at the terminal but source command cannot be found from within the script protocol.sh. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tevang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting category when given the variable from external file to shell script

Hi, I have a script that interacts with a config file in the format: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt file4.txt file5.txt file6.txt I would like to return the Category, when given the file name. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: MoreCowbell
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to external script

Hi! I have a python script that requires arguments and these arguments are file paths. This script works fine when executed like this: /my_python_script "file_path1" "file_path2" (i added quotes as some file names may have weird characters) the issue happens when i launch my python script... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
14 Replies

7. Web Development

cgi script and external UNIX commands (like swadm)

Hi, I am trying to implement a server monitoring dashboard using cgi scripting. I am planning to run the necessary unix scripts from the web page using cgi. This method works fine for standard unix commands but I am unable to run some external unix commands (like swadm show_processes, swadm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jofinjoseph
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running external programs inside an if then else

Good morning, First time poster. be gentle! :) I do not know coding all that well but I can hack the hell out of example scripts! I just cant wrap my brain around this one. Im trying to run two grep statements in the first IF statement and doing an AND between them. Something is going... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrplow2k69
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run the Shell Script from external directory using java?

Hi, I have created a Shell Script and invoke through java using Process Builder It's working fine, if (Shell script file ) in the same directory as java file. By Problem: How to run the Shell Script file( resides in external directory) using java. What configuration i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - saving results of external script to variable.

So, I've been playing with speeding up some analysis we do by using multiple threads of awk (actually, mawk, but code-compatible as far as I use it) on multiple CPU cores. So, I have a big data file and I have several copies of exactly the same processor script, written in mawk. I also have a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
8 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)