Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a command on a BASH shell Post 302341445 by kshji on Thursday 6th of August 2009 03:03:21 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Use CODE-tags. Not colors, bold, flash, ...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# or ksh

# call function like any other command type (builtin, external, alias, function, ...)
# = function get arguments from function call line
function hola
{
    echo "Hola $@."
}

##main##

# save script arguments to the variable
CmdLineArgs=$@

# run command - in this case command is function
hola $CmdLineArgs

Function, how to define ?
Old bsh style, which is also Posix-standard =
the most generic.
Code:
hola()
{
   :
}

or alternative (ksh, bash, ...)
Code:
function hola
{
  :
}

Or mixed - only in bash = not so generic
Code:
function hole()
{
  :
}

Last edited by kshji; 08-06-2009 at 04:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating file of 1MB using shell command?

Hi everybody in the forum, I want to create an empty file of say some 1MB ,i mean at the command line itself.How is this possible??????EEK! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable with cp command in bash shell

Hi, I am trying to write script to copy some files(/ppscdr/cdrp2p/temp/) from one directory to another directory using shell script. see the script below, #!/bin/sh -f dir_name=20061105 mkdir ${dir_name} cd /ppscdr/cdrp2p/temp pwd cp p2p${dir_name}*.*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a command history feature in a simple UNIX shell using C

I'm trying to write a history feature to a very simple UNIX shell that will list the last 10 commands used when control-c is pressed. A user can then run a previous command by typing r x, where x is the first letter of the command. I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out what I need to do, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=Cn=-
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell: Creating Preferences

In OS X I'm currently writing a bash script that requires writing to preference file. I may eventually want to share it with users on other Unix-like OSs and would like to accommodate for that possibility ahead of time. Most OS X applications save preferences in xml-format plist files. These... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: airsmurf
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more command does not work in bash shell

is there a different command to display contents of a file on the output in bash shell? i tried more and it does not work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command - bash shell

Hey all, I need to know how many lines of C code are in a source bundle. I have extracted the bundle and hence there is a big directory tree with C files everywhere. So far I have something like: find . -name "*.c" | grep \ ./*/*/*/*/*/* obviously wrong, if someone could help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigga15
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating own command interpreter like bash...??

Hello senior members, I am a fairly newbie here. I just want to ask one question that how can once create one's own command interpreter/ shell like bash in unix/linux. I need to execute basic commands like pipes and i/o. Any help in this matter ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duma188
3 Replies

9. Programming

Creating a bash based restricted shell

Hello. I need to write a command line interface that can be invoked either directly from the shell (command sub-command arguments), or as a shell that can process sub-commands. i want to use bash auto completion for both scenarios. example: lets say my CLI module is called 'mycli' and there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noamr
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)