Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a command on a BASH shell Post 302341404 by hresquivelo on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 11:03:54 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Creating a command on a BASH shell

Hi all. Suppose I have the following function in an executable file named "HOLA":
------------------------
function hola { echo "Hola ${@}."; }
------------------------

In addition, suppose that I want to execute the file so I can input my name next to ./HOLA. I mean,
--------------------------
$ ./HOLA hugo esquivel

According to the function hola, the output would be:
Hola hugo esquivel.

My question is: how can I achieve this behaviour? Is possible?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

PS: What I want is to create the command hola on a BASH shell (but through the executable).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating file of 1MB using shell command?

Hi everybody in the forum, I want to create an empty file of say some 1MB ,i mean at the command line itself.How is this possible??????EEK! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable with cp command in bash shell

Hi, I am trying to write script to copy some files(/ppscdr/cdrp2p/temp/) from one directory to another directory using shell script. see the script below, #!/bin/sh -f dir_name=20061105 mkdir ${dir_name} cd /ppscdr/cdrp2p/temp pwd cp p2p${dir_name}*.*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a command history feature in a simple UNIX shell using C

I'm trying to write a history feature to a very simple UNIX shell that will list the last 10 commands used when control-c is pressed. A user can then run a previous command by typing r x, where x is the first letter of the command. I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out what I need to do, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=Cn=-
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell: Creating Preferences

In OS X I'm currently writing a bash script that requires writing to preference file. I may eventually want to share it with users on other Unix-like OSs and would like to accommodate for that possibility ahead of time. Most OS X applications save preferences in xml-format plist files. These... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: airsmurf
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more command does not work in bash shell

is there a different command to display contents of a file on the output in bash shell? i tried more and it does not work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command - bash shell

Hey all, I need to know how many lines of C code are in a source bundle. I have extracted the bundle and hence there is a big directory tree with C files everywhere. So far I have something like: find . -name "*.c" | grep \ ./*/*/*/*/*/* obviously wrong, if someone could help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigga15
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating own command interpreter like bash...??

Hello senior members, I am a fairly newbie here. I just want to ask one question that how can once create one's own command interpreter/ shell like bash in unix/linux. I need to execute basic commands like pipes and i/o. Any help in this matter ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duma188
3 Replies

9. Programming

Creating a bash based restricted shell

Hello. I need to write a command line interface that can be invoked either directly from the shell (command sub-command arguments), or as a shell that can process sub-commands. i want to use bash auto completion for both scenarios. example: lets say my CLI module is called 'mycli' and there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noamr
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)