Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Generating random numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generating random numbers Post 302341391 by phil_heath on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 08:57:25 PM
Old 08-05-2009
Generating random numbers

Hi,

I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk?

So I have a file that looks like this:

23 30
24 40
26 34

So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop:

So the output will look like this:

23 30 26 28 29
24 40 24 28 38
26 34 28 30 31

where the last 3 columns are random numbers. Is this possible?

thanksSmilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating random numbers with hamming distance 4

Hi I want to genrate 10 random 32 bit binary numbers with hamming distance 4 and 8. 11010110010101010101010101010101 11010110010101010100010101010010 if we look carefully at these two binary numbers they differ at 4 places hence hamming distance 4. Now I want to genrate these numbers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hack_tom
2 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Gaussian Distributed Random Numbers

I want to generate an awk function that generated a Gaussian distributed set of random numbers. I need to implement the thing below in awk. Rnd is just a uniform random number between 0 and 1 function rgaussian(r1, r2) { Do v1 = 2 * Rnd - 1 v2 = 2 * Rnd - 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating 512MB file with dd using random data

Hello. Could anyone help me with my little annoying problem? I have to generate a 512 MB file made up with random data using DD. After some internet digging I found out that the command is: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/exemple/file bs=512MB After running this command the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razolo13
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
rand(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions						rand(3UCB)

NAME
rand, srand - simple random number generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [ flag ... ] file ... int rand(); int srand(seed) unsigned seed; DESCRIPTION
rand() uses a multiplicative congruential random number generator with period 2^32 to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^31 -1. srand() can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
cc(1B), drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(3C) NOTES
Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these interfaces with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applications is unsupported. The spectral properties of rand() leave a great deal to be desired. drand48(3C) and random(3C) provide much better, though more elaborate, random-number generators. The low bits of the numbers generated are not very random; use the middle bits. In particular the lowest bit alternates between 0 and 1. SunOS 5.11 30 Oct 2007 rand(3UCB)