Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Foreach loop to run a perl script on multiple files Post 302341319 by quine on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 01:31:44 PM
Old 08-05-2009
That's because your two foreach loops are nested. So each file grabbed from the outer loop is paired with every file in the inner loop and then the next outer loop file gets grabbed and that paired with each file in the inner loop, etc.

The general solution to your problem would be to:

1. First load all the inner loop filenames into an array.

2. Now set up [what was] your outer loop.

3. For each file in your loop (now there's only one loop), take its name, and couple it with the next element in the array using either a counter, or pop, or what ever your script language allows.

quine@sonic.net

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Iterating a hash through a foreach loop - unexpected results

i've reworked some code from an earlier post, and it isn't working as expected i've simplified it to try and find the problem. i spent hours trying to figure out what is wrong, eventually thinking there was a bug in perl or a problem with my computer. but, i've tried it on 3 machines with the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumechanix
5 Replies

2. Programming

PERL, search and replace inside foreach loop

Hello All, Im a Hardware engineer, I have written this script to automate my job. I got stuck in the following location. CODE: .. .. ... foreach $key(keys %arr_hash) { my ($loc,$ind,$add) = split /,/, $arr_hash{$key}; &create_verilog($key, $loc, $ind ,$add); } sub create_verilog{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: riyasnr007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script on files in multiple directories

Hi, I want to run a Perl script on multiple files, with same name ("Data.txt") but in different directories (eg : 2010_06_09_A/Data.txt, 2010_06_09_B/Data.txt). I know how to run this perl script on files in the same directory like: for $i in *.txt do perl myscript.pl $i > $i.new... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script with multiple file arguments

Hello everyone, I have two types of files in a directory: *.txt *.info I have a perl script that uses these two files as arguments, and produces a result file: perl myScript.pl abc.txt abc.xml How can I run this script (in a "for" loop , looping through both types of files)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop in unix script

Hi all, I have a script which searches for all sql files in the current directory and replaces all sql files with an underscore with a dash. The next part I need to do is record the number of changes made (underscore to dash) and display this value (e.g.2). This is what I have so far; find /... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawi
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run perl script on multiple files of two directories?

Hi I have 100 files under file A labled 1.txt 2.txt.....100.txt(made up name) I have 1 files under file B labled name.txt How can i run the same perl script on 100 files and file name.txt I want to run perl script.pl A/1.txt B/name.txt perl script.pl A/2.txt B/name.txt ....... perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I run the following command on multiple files and print out the corresponding multiple files. perl script.pl genome.gff 1.txt > 1.gff However, there are multiples files of 1.txt, from 1----100.txt Thank you so much. No duplicate posting! Continue here. (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files. FOR EXAMPLE i want to run script.pl on 100 files named 1.txt ....100.txt under same directory and print out corresponding file 1.gff ....100.gff.THANKS (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a loop for multiple files in a folder to run awk command?

Dear folks I have two data set which there names are "final.map" and "1.geno" and look like this structures: final.map: gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2044 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2048 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 2187 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| 17654 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print perl hash value in foreach loop

Experts - Any advice on how to get a hash value in a foreach loop? Values print correctly on standalone print statements, but I can't access value in foreach loop. See sample code below and thanks in advance. foreach my $z (sort keys %hash) { for $y (@{$hash{$z}}) { print "$z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies
Bio::AlignIO::msf(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Bio::AlignIO::msf(3pm)

NAME
Bio::AlignIO::msf - msf sequence input/output stream SYNOPSIS
Do not use this module directly. Use it via the Bio::AlignIO class. DESCRIPTION
This object can transform Bio::Align::AlignI objects to and from msf flat file databases. FEEDBACK
Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHORS - Peter Schattner Email: schattner@alum.mit.edu APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ next_aln Title : next_aln Usage : $aln = $stream->next_aln() Function: returns the next alignment in the stream. Tries to read *all* MSF It reads all non whitespace characters in the alignment area. For MSFs with weird gaps (eg ~~~) map them by using $aln->map_chars('~','-') Returns : Bio::Align::AlignI object Args : NONE write_aln Title : write_aln Usage : $stream->write_aln(@aln) Function: writes the $aln object into the stream in MSF format Sequence type of the alignment is determined by the first sequence. Returns : 1 for success and 0 for error Args : Bio::Align::AlignI object perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::AlignIO::msf(3pm)