Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Capture child processes and change return values question Post 302341292 by Corona688 on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 12:16:47 PM
Old 08-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxhats
Doesn't it require copying lots of files/libs into the chrooted envronment. I'm trying to avoid such a thing, as it makes it more difficult for teachers, new to Linux, to replicate this along with everything else already in place.
You could just link files instead of copying them. They would have to be hardlinks, not symlinks, but it wouldn't need to be copied wholesale as long as its on the same partition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Programming

Controlling child processes

Hello all, I am trying to create n child processes and control them from a parent process; say make child 3 print its pid and then child 5 do the same and some other stuff. Is there a way to accomplishing this after all the child processes are created via a call to fork(). Thank you, FG (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumGuy
23 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

4. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture PID for a child script

Hi, I'm looking for a method where we can capture the PID and if possible the progress of child process especially the ones running in background. can anyone help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman jain
6 Replies

8. Programming

How to capture messages from child process?

Hi all, I'm new in programming, but want to start writing a simple GUI for linux console application,say, wget.(for educational purpose :) ). The question is: how to start child process from C++ code and then start capture messages from its stdout? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vahagn_iv
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture C program return values in Kshell

I have a K shell script (ksh) that needs to return an email address. A C program was written (prog1) to now access the email address off of an oracle table. The call to the program in the ksh is prog1 -p parm1 Based on Parm1 the program will read an oracle table and retrieve the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all child processes of a process

is there a universal way of getting the children of a particular process? i'm looking for a solution that works across different OSes...linux, aix, sunos, hpux. i did a search online and i kept finding answers that were specific to Linux..i.e. pstree. i want to be able to specify a process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
LNDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LNDIR(1)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir [ -silent ] [ -ignorelinks ] [ -withrevinfo ] fromdir [ todir ] DESCRIPTION
The lndir program makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with symbolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source, which you will have usually mounted from a remote machine. You can build in the shadow tree, and the object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This scheme has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in all shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile away. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). Note that BitKeeper, CVS, CVS.adm, .git, .hg, RCS, SCCS, and .svn directories are shadowed only if the -withrevinfo flag is specified. Files with names ending in ~ are never shadowed. If you add files, simply run lndir again. New files will be silently added. Old files will be checked that they have the correct link. Deleting files is a more painful problem; the symlinks will just point into never never land. If a file in fromdir is a symbolic link, lndir will make the same link in todir rather than making a link back to the (symbolic link) entry in fromdir. The -ignorelinks flag changes this behavior. OPTIONS
-silent Normally lndir outputs the name of each subdirectory as it descends into it. The -silent option suppresses these status messages. -ignorelinks Causes the program to not treat symbolic links in fromdir specially. The link created in todir will point back to the corresponding (symbolic link) file in fromdir. If the link is to a directory, this is almost certainly the wrong thing. This option exists mostly to emulate the behavior the C version of lndir had in X11R6. Its use is not recommended. -withrevinfo Causes any source control manager subdirectories (those named BitKeeper, CVS, CVS.adm, .git, .hg, RCS, SCCS, or .svn) to be treated as any other directory, rather than ignored. DIAGNOSTICS
The program displays the name of each subdirectory it enters, followed by a colon. The -silent option suppresses these messages. A warning message is displayed if the symbolic link cannot be created. The usual problem is that a regular file of the same name already exists. If the link already exists but doesn't point to the correct file, the program prints the link name and the location where it does point. SEE ALSO
ln(1). X Version 11 lndir 1.0.3 LNDIR(1)