Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop Post 302341248 by ViperChief on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 10:37:35 AM
Old 08-05-2009
Well, my questions was regarding how successful has someone been with x operating system on a laptop when you take into account the extras that come with laptop, such as the media keys hotkeys for volume control and back and forth keys that I have on my Thinkpad T61. Also, getting the scrolling "feature" (some people don't see it as a feature, I have learned) of my touchpad to work. It's been hit and miss with getting it working in some systems with a manual config, which I don't mind doing.

As for what I'll be doing...mostly C++ and a little Python development, but I usually just use vim and a compiler from the CLI. I'd also like to do work with VMs and regular web serving.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect laptop to Unix system via Parallel port

Hi, I have been using a computer to keep track of inventory for my business. I am pretty sure it runs on Unix. In the back of the computer there is some sort of PCI card that has about 8 RJ-11 ports on it. I use that card to connect the Unix system to my 3 VT-220 terminals. I use a simple 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john202
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount CD from local laptop to UNIX server remotely

I need some help in emergency. I want to add some software package from Solaris 10 CD remotely to UNIX Sparc machine. I can remotely access into the machine. Question is: how do I insert Solaris 10 CD in my laptop, then mount to UNIX machine remotely and add software package. Please give me the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Laptop for unix

I like Unix systems very much. Is there possibility, to buy new modern laptop (something like core i7 3.0GHz, ATI/NVIDIA graphic card with 1024MB, 8GB of RAM) on which I will be able to install Unix systems like BSD and Solaris and use mic and cameras and all stuff with this systems? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
intro(3C)																 intro(3C)

NAME
intro - introduction to subroutines and libraries DESCRIPTION
This section describes functions found in various libraries, other than those functions that directly invoke HP-UX system primitives, which are described in Section(2) of this volume. Certain major collections are identified by a letter after the section identifier(3): (3C) These functions, together with the Operating System Calls and those marked(3S), constitute the Standard C Library, which is automatically loaded by the C compiler, cc(1). Declarations for some of these functions can be obtained from files indicated in the appropriate entries.(3E) These functions constitute the ELF access library which lets a program manipulate ELF (Executable and Linking Format) object files, archive files, and archive members. The link editor searches this library if the option is specified. The header file provides type and function declarations for all library services (described in elf(3E). (3G) These functions constitute the graphics library and are documented in separate manuals.(3I) These functions constitute the instrument support (Device I/O) library.(3M) These functions constitute the Math Library, The link editor searches this library if the option is specified. Declara- tions for these functions are available in the header files and Several generally useful mathematical constants are also defined in (see math(5)). (3N) These functions are applicable to the Internet network and are part of the standard C library, (3S) These functions constitute the ``standard I/O package'' (see stdio(3S)). These functions are in the library already men- tioned. Declarations for these functions can be obtained from the file(3T) These functions constitute the Pthreads Library. The link editor (see ld(1)) searches this library if the option is spec- ified. See pthread(3T) for more detailed information on threads.(3X) Various specialized libraries. The files in which these libraries are found are specified in the appropriate entries. DIAGNOSTICS
Functions in the C and Math Libraries, (3C) and(3M), may return the conventional values or when the function is undefined for the given arguments or when the value is not representable. is defined as in the header file. Functions in the Math Library may also return or a In these cases, the external variable (see errno(2)) may also be set to the value [EDOM] or [ERANGE]. FILES
(For PA-RISC systems.) Standard I/O, operating system calls, and general purpose routines archive library. (For PA-RISC systems.) Standard I/O, operating system calls, and general purpose routines shared library. (For Itanium(R)-based systems.) Standard I/O, operating system calls, and general purpose routines 32-bit and 64-bit shared libraries. (For PA-RISC systems.) CRT screen handling shared library. (For Itanium-based systems.) CRT screen handling 32-bit and 64-bit shared libraries. (For PA-RISC systems.) ELF archive library. (For PA-RISC systems.) ELF shared library. (For Itanium-based systems.) ELF 32-bit and 64-bit shared libraries. (For PA-RISC systems.) SVID3, XPG4.2, and ANSI C compliant math archive library. (For PA-RISC systems.) SVID3, XPG4.2, and ANSI C compliant math archive library. (For Itanium-based systems.) SVID3, XPG4.2, and ANSI C compliant 32-bit and 64-bit math shared libraries. SEE ALSO
ar(1), elf(3E), ld(1), nm(1), intro(2), stdio(3S), hier(5), math(5), thread_safety(5), introduction(9). Web access to HP-UX documentation at intro(3C)