Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple awk script for positional replacement in text? Post 302341173 by JFS on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 08:17:54 AM
Old 08-05-2009
clarification of question

That 10th position that's being replaced need not be a G. Strictly speaking, it could be anything. That's why I show it as being either a G or a C in the three examples I put up. Unfortunately, G's and C's look similar. Maybe I should have made that a "C or T" or a "G or A" (those are the actual options for what I'm doing).

Also, the data at OTHER points in each string is ALSO not identical.

If I remember correctly, I can put two options in brackets at that location, and otherwise follow what you're suggesting. Or whatever the symbol for a single character wild card is, which I should be able to look up. I remember that it's not just an asterisk (*).

Would this work?

Code:
echo "AAAA[AT]TAAA[ACGT]AAAA"| awk '{substr((sub(/[ACGT]/,"N")),10,1); print}'

Thanks!

NB, I also don't understand the comment about code tags, because so far as I know, I have not included any code, and my example is not "data," it's an explanation of my terminology, in case I'm using my terms incorrectly. Perhaps "data" means something different to a computer scientist than it does to a biologist. Apologies, if so.

Last edited by JFS; 08-05-2009 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: clarification / request for clarification of answer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/Sed One liner for text replacement

Hi group, I want to replace the occurance of a particular text in a paragraph.I tried with Sed,but Sed only displays the result on the screen.How can i update the changes in the original file??? The solution should be a one liner using awk and sed. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishnu.bhatta
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl as awk replacement in a script.

Hey all, Im trying to write a script on windows, which Im not too familiar with. Im generally a bash scripting guy but am using perl for this case. My question is... I have this exact output: 2 Dir(s) 6,380,429,312 bytes free and I just need to get the number out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple 'sed' script for replacing text

Hi All, So I found a simple sed command to replace text in a file (http://www.labnol.org/internet/design/wordpress-unix-replace-text-multiple-files/1128/): sed -e 's/OLDtext/NEWtext/' -i file(s) Because I'm lazy and don't want to remember this each time I want to do this, I wrote the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Positional Parameter Range Awk

Hello All, I am trying to clean up a poorly looking awk command. I am searching for a way to define a range of positional parameters. I may not be searching for the correct syntax. Example: awk ' /14:3*/ {print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13}' app.log Is it possible to shorten... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple version control script for text files

HI guys, Could you help me writing a simple version control script for a text files. the format could be ./version_control <file(s)> (I want it to be able to work with more than 1 file at the same time) commands are add and get, add means you add new file(s) to the archive, get means you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple script to write new lines in a text file

Hello, I have a comma seperated data sheet with multiple fields of biological data. One column contains the ID name of the sample, where there could be more than one sample separated by a comma. I would like a script that reads this field, and for each sample ID, copies the entire line and writes... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
18 Replies

8. Programming

Resample time series data with replacement any way to do this in awk or just bash script

I have some time series data that I need to resample or downsample at some specific time intervals. The firs column is time in decimal hours. I am tryiong to resample this data every 3 minutse. So I need a data value ever 0.05. Here is the example data and as you can see, there time slot for 0.1500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Replacement in a Text File in one operation (sed/awk) ?

Hi all, Saying we have two files: 1. A "Reference File" whose content is "Variable Name": "Variable Value" 2. A "Model File" whose content is a model program in which I want to substitute "VariableName" with their respective value to produce a third file "Program File" which would be a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
Locale::Currency(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Currency(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Currency - standard codes for currency identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Currency; $curr = code2currency('usd'); # $curr gets 'US Dollar' $code = currency2code('Euro'); # $code gets 'eur' @codes = all_currency_codes(); @names = all_currency_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Currency" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying currencies and funds, such as those defined in ISO 4217. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 4217 three-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying currencies. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of three-letter (uppercase) codes from ISO 4217 such as EUR for Euro. Two of the codes specified by the standard (XTS which is reserved for testing purposes and XXX which is for transactions where no currency is involved) are omitted. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_CURR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. num This is the set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 4217. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_CURR_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2currency ( CODE [,CODESET] ) currency2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) currency_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_currency_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_currency_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::rename_currency ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::add_currency ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::delete_currency ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::add_currency_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Currency::delete_currency_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Currency::rename_currency_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::add_currency_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Currency::delete_currency_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.iso.org/iso/support/currency_codes_list-1.htm The ISO 4217 data. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001 Michael Hennecke Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Currency(3perl)