Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restricting access to code
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Restricting access to code Post 302341035 by ilikecows on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 02:52:22 AM
Old 08-05-2009
I would recommend moving closer to a least privilege security model. If your OS has security labels, RBAC, or sudo you should convince your higher ups to implement them immediately. Now wouldn't be a bad time to test your backups either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

restricting access...

restricted access... Hi I need to restrict users shell access to only $HOME under /home for each user. I don't want them getting out of their own directories. From what I understand chroot is something I could use, but I want to avoid this since it involves creating symbolic links to a number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access

I need to create a user that only has access to 1 directory (e.g. /vol/mita/test). The user needs to be able to rsh into that directory to run a script. The user should not be able to navigate to any other directories above /vol/mita/test. Any help would be appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagne
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access to a machine by IP Address

I have a need to allow only certain IP addresses to access a machine running solaris 9. I am not sure how this can be accomplished. Thanks in advance for your help. Patch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patch
2 Replies

4. Solaris

restricting access

Hi All, I'm on Solaris 8, I need to provide Read-only access to a user to 2 directories only. Using rsh (restricted shell) as the user's login shell, I can restrict the user's access to a certain directory only, but how can I set in such a way that the user can access only the 2 directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_min
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restricting root access

I'm the admin in a shop in which my developers have and use the root account, all UNIX newbies. I've been unable to convince management myself that this is an unacceptable practice. I've looked in a couple books I have and can't find any chapters, discussions, etc that make the argument that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
2 Replies

6. Solaris

restricting access to a server

We want to secure access to a server by restricting the number of users who can login to it. Our users are NIS users. Only few of them can telnet/ssh this server. Do you have any idea on how to implement that? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting permissions and restricting access

Hi all, I have user called "Z". The home directory is /home/Z. I have another directory /home/Z/OP. Within /home/Z/OP, i have 2 directories /home/Z/OP/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. I want to restrict access for Z to only access /home/Z/OP and /home/Z/OP1 and /home/Z/OP2. What kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Restricting FTP access for a particular directory

Dear All, I have created a user called "x" who is allowed only to FTP and it is working fine. Here my problem is, I want to give access to a particular directory say for eg:- /dump/test directory. I don't find any option in the useradd command to restrict access to this particular directory only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Restricting CPU Core Access

Hi all. I've had a quick look around but cant see anything exactly matching my requirements. I have a new T2000 running S10. Im looking to restrict the no. cores that a S10 non-global zone can use to 1 only. The box is single CPU but 8core. I want to do this to save on some software... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boneyard
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting SFTP access

Hello, I am using MySecureShell to chroot all sftp accesses. The problem that I have is that my boss does not want root to be able to use sftp. Root should still be able to ssh. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies
priv_names(4)							   File Formats 						     priv_names(4)

NAME
priv_names - privilege definition file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/priv_names DESCRIPTION
The priv_names file, located in /etc/security, defines the privileges with which a process can be associated. See privileges(5) for the privilege definitions. In that man page, privileges correspond to privilege names in priv_names as shown in the following examples: name in privileges(5) Name in priv_names PRIV_FILE_CHOWN file_chown PRIV_FILE_CHOWN_SELF file_chown_self PRIV_FILE_DAC_EXECUTE file_dac_execute ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ppriv(1), attributes(5), privileges(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 priv_names(4)