Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wierd issue using wc -l in a script Post 302340974 by KenJackson on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 08:57:14 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Here's another detail that may help.

These two commands are equivalent:
head -5 file
head -n 5 file

So if you use -n $file_cnt instead of -$file_cnt the extra space would have no effect.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wierd Message????

I am getting this message when I run my script. $ runscript.sh Not connected to any service! Here is the beginning of the script: # 1 - failure # # variable declaration FILEDATE=`date +"%Y%m%d"` Not connected to any service! Right after the FILEDATE gets loaded I get that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

2. Programming

Wierd pipe problem

I have encountered a strange problem dealing with pipes and forking. The program basicaly does this: cat file | tbl | eqn | groff Now, I have a parent process that forks children that that exec the stuff that they should. The pipes defined in the parent are the ones used. The chain goes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: denoir
1 Replies

3. Solaris

wierd sparc 5

Hi! I own a sparc 5 and i seem to have a strange problem. When its off, it starts by itself... Sounds a bit strange? Iknow. Does anyone know whats causing this?? Could it be the network card? or is it someting in ENV or some other configuration?? //dOzY (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dozy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wierd boot-up sequence

Hi, I have two machines, one is a E3500 and the other one is a V490; I face a strange issue with both of them. The boot up sequence gives the output of the devalias command. Has anybody faced this?? Please do let me know what needs to be done o resolve this. Regards, NP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinp82
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wierd networking issue

I have Debian Etch release as a fresh install on a PIII to be a router/firewall. I've configured networking, and utilized Shorewall to set up iptables scripting. I've installed dhcp3, both client and server, to pull an ip from my broadband cable modem, and dish out ip's to a switch for other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflink
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wierd results with awk

Hey, I'm trying to use awk for some simple file manipulations but i'm getting soem wierd results. So i want to open up a file which looks like this: @relation 'autoMpg' @attribute a numeric @attribute b numeric @attribute c numeric @data -1.170815,0.257522,0.016416... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatheny
2 Replies

7. AIX

Wierd thing about FSs and VGs

Hello It appears that on a regular basis, perhaps when weekly rebooting happens, not sure yet, my odm becomes out of sync. When doing a smitty file system list by volume group, the FS type is displayed as ??? on several FSs. Always in the same VG. I know how to fix this problem, thing is,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

8. Programming

Wierd C program. Help Needed

Hi, Please see this: When i make a declaration as: char *i, j, *k; and then do sprintf( k, "print.sh %s", i ); the program works fine. But when i change the declaration to: char *i, *k; and then do sprintf( k, "print.sh %s", i ); I get a segmentation fault at the 'sprintf'... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env setup script givin wierd results

I have a script that setsup the environmental variables and then goes on to ftp a file . The scripts which does is as follows The script runs fine when i run it in my home dir and goes on to ftp the file.. But when the same file is run as a batch job in Control-M(a job scheduling software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hareeshkumaru
1 Replies

10. Linux

Wierd cursor behavior in Linux

I Have a COBOL application running over iscobol platform in Linux server. we run Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 4) Kernel \r on an \m and the command "uname -a" gave me that: Linux trilinux 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheReverend
1 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - Displays the beginning of files SYNOPSIS
Current Syntax head [-c bytes] [-n lines] [file...] Obsolescent Syntax head [-lines] [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: head: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
The default count is 10. [Tru64 UNIX] Specifies the number of bytes to display. If the last byte written is not a newline character, a newline character is appended to the output. Specifies the number of lines to display Works exactly as -n lines. Obsolescent. OPERANDS
Path name of the input file. If you do not specify a file, head reads standard input. DESCRIPTION
The head command copies the standard input to standard output, ending output of each file at the specified point. NOTES
The obsolescent form is subject to withdrawal at any time. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the first 5 lines of a file called test, enter: head -n 5 test To display the first ten lines of all files (except those with a name beginning with a period), enter: head * ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of head: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments and input files). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cat(1), more(1), pg(1), sed(1), tail(1) Standards: standards(5) head(1)