Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending an event from another bash shell Post 302340954 by hresquivelo on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 06:13:18 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Thanks you very much!

Ok, I tried with the second one:
At shell #2... read < $pipe_file
At shell #1... cat output.out > $pipe_file

I know it works... but would like to know if this is what you want to say. Smilie
(I don't want to "hack" the commands)

Thank you!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

keypress event in shell script

Hi All, How can I trap a character press in the shell script. For eg:- I have a script runinng a infinite loops , I will need to dispay menu asking for run process of to stop process and process stauts like we do in glance I have seen the traping the signal in glance command, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we trigger an shell script on an event

Hi, My program A updates a log called logA. I have a shell script S that is responsible to send emails reading from the log. I want to trigger execution of the script whenever there is an update to the log. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending mail via Bash

Hello , I want to send mail via bash script but i want to add from parameter for example i want to send to test@gmail.com and the sender will be test2@gmail.com Thanks for all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxCommandos
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash unix cron + sending sms

Hi all, i'm trying to send an sms (notification sms) via a bash script executing throw crontab. The script works fine, but the sms itsn't sent to me. can you help me to resolve this issue, plz. Thanks. Yes - we probably COULD help you if you WOULD provide us with your script, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arezki76
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/bash: Event not found.

Hi I'm new to scripting - please help me... I'm trying to run a script written by a friend: #!/bin/bash for aStat in .... do .... done when coping the script to the terminal I get: /bin/bash: Event not found. for: Command not found. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atira
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to execute condition until an event occurs

I need a script to keep polling "receive_dir" directory till "stopfile" get written in the directory. This has to run despite empty directory. So far i have this but fails if receive_dir is empty with no files with "unary operator expected". Help !! #!/usr/bin/ksh until do for i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iaav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending awk variables into curl in a bash script

Hello experts! I have a file1 with the following format (yr,day, month, hour,minute): 201201132435 201202141210 201304132030 201410100110 ... What i want to do is to assign variables and then use them in the curl command to download the text of each event from a web page. What I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email to group in bash

In shell scripting, TestEmail is an existing group email. I am using the below command to send emails who are existed under TestEmail . Unable to receive the email. I have tried group ="id1 id2 " .Its working and i tried creating alias as well. Can we do it without creating alias or group ="id1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomas9192
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)