Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications xlib: allow overlay of other windows in full-screen Post 302340869 by aerosmith on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 02:10:39 PM
Old 08-04-2009
xlib: allow overlay of other windows in full-screen

Hi,

I am using the feh slideshow program in full-screen mode. While the slide show is in progress I would like to draw some other windows (something like clock or calendar from gdesklets) on top of this slideshow. Currently feh does not allow me to do that. Below is the code that feh uses to create a window. Any ideas on how to allow feh to give focus to other windows while it is playing the slide show? I have posted a question to feh but looks like the project is dead. Any ideas or information is really appreciated.

Code:
  XSetWindowAttributes attr;
  XClassHint *xch;
  MWMHints mwmhints;
  Atom prop = None;
  attr.backing_store = NotUseful;
  attr.override_redirect = False;
  attr.colormap = cm;
  attr.border_pixel = 0;
  attr.background_pixel = 0;
  attr.save_under = False;
  attr.event_mask =
    StructureNotifyMask | ButtonPressMask | ButtonReleaseMask |
    PointerMotionMask | EnterWindowMask | LeaveWindowMask | KeyPressMask |
    KeyReleaseMask | ButtonMotionMask | ExposureMask | FocusChangeMask |
    PropertyChangeMask | VisibilityChangeMask;

if (opt.borderless || ret->full_screen) {
    prop = XInternAtom(disp, "_MOTIF_WM_HINTS", True);
    if (prop == None) {
      weprintf("Window Manager does not support MWM hints. "
               "To get a borderless window I have to bypass your wm.");
      attr.override_redirect = True;
      mwmhints.flags = 0;
    } else {
      mwmhints.flags = MWM_HINTS_DECORATIONS;
      mwmhints.decorations = 0;
    }
  } else
    mwmhints.flags = 0;

ret->win =
    XCreateWindow(disp, DefaultRootWindow(disp), x, y, w, h, 0, depth,
                  InputOutput, vis,
                  CWOverrideRedirect | CWSaveUnder | CWBackingStore |
                  CWColormap | CWBackPixel | CWBorderPixel | CWEventMask,
                  &attr);

if (mwmhints.flags) {
    XChangeProperty(disp, ret->win, prop, prop, 32, PropModeReplace,
                    (unsigned char *) &mwmhints, PROP_MWM_HINTS_ELEMENTS);
  }

XSetWMProtocols(disp, ret->win, &wmDeleteWindow, 1);

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 08-07-2009 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: added code tags

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Full-Screen Script

Hi guys Pls I would like knew how to execut a script in full-screen. My shell is Korn in HP-UX 10.20. Thanks. Morcegao (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Morcegao30
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ubuntu Hardy: How to span windows over more than 1 screen?

Hi, Ive 3 screens, 2 nvidia graphiccards and all works fine with the nvidia binary driver and xinerama. I can maximize all windows an one screen, but now i need to span it over all 3 screens. Any ideas? thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcW
3 Replies

3. SuSE

SLES 11 SP1 X windows login screen disappear ..

Dear All I have a problem (please look the attachment picture.) My SLEL 11 SP1 use run-level 5, after I reboot the server. the Ctrl+Alt F7 console only display the wallpaper... (It should display a lprompt to ask username and password, please look the attachment picture. and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to get full message text from Windows Event Logs

Hi all, . I am developing a log monitoring solution in perl for Windows I am using the CPAN module Win32 ::EventLog (0.076) version for getting the events from windows. The problem which I am facing now is all the Windows 2008 machines are upgraded with Service pack2 from then I couldn’t able... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kar_333
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get full width of screen, when using large calculation with bc ?

Experts, When doing large calculation the digits in the screen are limiting to 68 digit and then with a \ ( backspace) next line comes. example: ubuntu# echo "123456789 ^ 50 " | bc 37648602365872212683379005814670372328125515868188009630652959693316\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

6. Linux

Only the terminal(command screen) no GUI, for Windows XP ???

Hi All, Am working in a major IT company, due to security issues, being a fresher am not allowed to install or asking for a specific business reason to install it in my system. The thing is i want to learn Linux, due to the same security issues we need Admin pass to install certain... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_ganapathy
6 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rectangle is flickering while dragging on screen with xlib

Hi, this is my first post here. I wanto make a screencasting program. I want to make a screen part selection to grab coordinates of the screen location. I found a nice prototype #include <X11/Xlib.h> //#include <X11/Xresource.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatnext
0 Replies
inkview(1)							   Inkscape-0.40							inkview(1)

NAME
inkview - slideshow program which uses SVG files SYNOPSIS
inkview [FILES] ... [somewhere/*.svg] ... DESCRIPTION
Inkview is a slideshow program which uses SVG files. One or more FILES may be specified on the command-line and the slideshow will consist of the files supplied on the command line in the given order. KEYBINDINGS
Left or Page Up: show previous slide Right, Page Down, or space bar: show next slide Up: go to first slide Down: go to last slide Escape, q or Q: quit F11: go to fullscreen mode/revert back to window mode Return: pop up window with slide buttons (first, prev, next, last) EXAMPLES
You can use the command inkview /usr/share/inkscape/examples/*.svg* to browse through the examples included in the inkscape package. OPTIONS
There are no options yet. TODO
add a default SVG for when a document does not load. add a usage/help command line switch SEE ALSO
inkscape(1) and the inkview related part of the inkscape wiki: http://www.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkview http://www.inkscape.org/ AUTHORS
Johan Ceuppens This codebase owes its existence to a large number of contributors throughout its various incarnations. See inkscape(1) for more informa- tion. This man-page was written by Wolfram Quester <wolfi@mittelerde.physik.uni-konstanz.de> INKSCAPE
December 28, 2004 inkview(1)