Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting store the output of "find" command in a variable? Post 302340636 by zaxxon on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 05:41:09 AM
Old 08-04-2009
Something like this?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "Enter the filename to seek:"
read INPUT
VAR=`find / -type f -name "${INPUT}" -print`
# now do something with it maybe

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Find command work with a variable passing "*" value?

Hi guy, I have a problem to pass a variable containing '*' value to FIND command. below is the script. It doesn't work by submit below command: rmf.sh name '*.txt' or rmf.sh name *.txt I've tried either optn="-name '$2'" or optn="-name $2"., and there is no luck. ### (script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unxuser
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the output of "time dd if= of=" in a variable

Hi All, I need to store the real seconds of the following command in a variable. How could it be done? time $(dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=2048;sync) Thanks, Amio (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store Host lookup in variable ("on the fly")

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why I can't store a host lookup in a variable. for line in $(< blacklist) do STOREIP=host $line; if ]; then $line >> blacklist2; else $line >> blacklist3; fi done Result: "ip" command not found .. so how would I store the host lookup in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sOliver
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "python --version" to a shell variable

Hi All, I need to get the version of python installed and store it in a variable for later use. Whereas it is printing on the console instead of storing to variable. I am able to store output of ls command in a variable. Please check the below code : root@myhost:/volumes/srini# cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan.neel
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I redirect output from "find", either to a file or another command?

I'm trying to find out what happened to the rogue game that apt-get told me it installed, so I thought I would find the file. I went to the root and entered: find -name "rog*.*" I get a large number of lines saying my access is denied in various directories. I figure I'll practice my Unix... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghvark
14 Replies
TREEREG(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						TREEREG(1)

NAME
treereg - Compiler for Tree Regular Expressions SYNOPSIS
treereg [-m packagename] [[no]syntax] [[no]numbers] [-severity 0|1|2|3] [-p treeprefix] [-o outputfile] [-lib /path/to/library/] -i filename[.trg] treereg [-m packagename] [[no]syntax] [[no]numbers] [-severity 0|1|2|3] [-p treeprefix] [-lib /path/to/library/] [-o outputfile] filename[.trg] treereg -v treereg -h OPTIONS
Options can be used both with one dash and double dash. It is not necessary to write the full name of the option. A disambiguation prefix suffices. o "-i[n] filename" Input file. Extension ".trg" is assumed if no extension is provided. o "-o[ut] filename" Output file. By default is the name of the input file (concatenated with .pm) o "-m[od] packagename" Name of the package containing the generated subroutines. By default is the longest prefix of the input file name that conforms to the classic definition of integer "[a-z_A-Z]w*". o "-l[ib] /path/to/library/" Specifies that "/path/to/library/" will be included in @INC. Useful when the "syntax" option is on. Can be inserted as many times as necessary. o "-p[refix] treeprefix" Tree nodes automatically generated using "Parse::Eyapp" are objects blessed into the name of the production. To avoid crashes the programmer may prefix the class names with a given prefix when calling the parser; for example: $self->YYParse( yylex => &_Lexer, yyerror => &_Error, yyprefix => __PACKAGE__."::") The "-prefix treeprefix" option simplifies the process of writing the tree grammar so that instead of writing with the full names CLASS::TIMES(CLASS::NUM, $x) and { $NUM->{VAL} == 0) => { $NUM } it can be written: TIMES(NUM, $x) and { $NUM->{VAL} == 0) => { $NUM } o "-n[umbers]" Produces "#line" directives. o "-non[umbers]" Disable source file line numbering embedded in your parser o "-sy[ntax]" Checks that Perl code is syntactically correct. o "-nosy[ntax]" Does not check the syntax of Perl code o "-se[verity] number" - 0 = Don't check arity (default). Matching does not check the arity. The actual node being visited may have more children. - 1 = Check arity. Matching requires the equality of the number of children and the actual node and the pattern. - 2 = Check arity and give a warning - 3 = Check arity, give a warning and exit o "-v[ersion]" Gives the version o "-u[sage]" Prints the usage info o "-h[elp]" Print this help DESCRIPTION
"Treereg" translates a tree grammar specification file (default extension ".trg" describing a set of tree patterns and the actions to modify them using tree-terms like: TIMES(NUM, $x) and { $NUM->{VAL} == 0) => { $NUM } which says that wherever an abstract syntax tree representing the product of a numeric expression with value 0 times any other kind of expression, the "TIMES" tree can be substituted by its left child. The compiler produces a Perl module containing the subroutines implementing those sets of pattern-actions. EXAMPLE
Consider the following "eyapp" grammar (see the "Parse::Eyapp" documentation to know more about "Parse::Eyapp" grammars): ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> cat Rule6.yp %{ use Data::Dumper; %} %right '=' %left '-' '+' %left '*' '/' %left NEG %tree %% line: exp { $_[1] } ; exp: %name NUM NUM | %name VAR VAR | %name ASSIGN VAR '=' exp | %name PLUS exp '+' exp | %name MINUS exp '-' exp | %name TIMES exp '*' exp | %name DIV exp '/' exp | %name UMINUS '-' exp %prec NEG | '(' exp ')' { $_[2] } /* Let us simplify a bit the tree */ ; %% sub _Error { die "Syntax error. "; } sub _Lexer { my($parser)=shift; $parser->YYData->{INPUT} or $parser->YYData->{INPUT} = <STDIN> or return('',undef); $parser->YYData->{INPUT}=~s/^s+//; for ($parser->YYData->{INPUT}) { s/^([0-9]+(?:.[0-9]+)?)// and return('NUM',$1); s/^([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)// and return('VAR',$1); s/^(.)//s and return($1,$1); } } sub Run { my($self)=shift; $self->YYParse( yylex => &_Lexer, yyerror => &_Error ); } ---------------------------------------------------------- Compile it using "eyapp": ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> eyapp Rule6.yp nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> ls -ltr | tail -1 -rw-rw---- 1 pl users 4976 2006-09-15 19:56 Rule6.pm ---------------------------------------------------------- Now consider this tree grammar: ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> cat Transform2.trg %{ my %Op = (PLUS=>'+', MINUS => '-', TIMES=>'*', DIV => '/'); %} fold: 'TIMES|PLUS|DIV|MINUS':bin(NUM($n), NUM($m)) => { my $op = $Op{ref($bin)}; $n->{attr} = eval "$n->{attr} $op $m->{attr}"; $_[0] = $NUM[0]; } zero_times_whatever: TIMES(NUM($x), .) and { $x->{attr} == 0 } => { $_[0] = $NUM } whatever_times_zero: TIMES(., NUM($x)) and { $x->{attr} == 0 } => { $_[0] = $NUM } /* rules related with times */ times_zero = zero_times_whatever whatever_times_zero; ---------------------------------------------------------- Compile it with "treereg": ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> treereg Transform2.trg nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> ls -ltr | tail -1 -rw-rw---- 1 pl users 1948 2006-09-15 19:57 Transform2.pm ---------------------------------------------------------- The following program makes use of both modules "Rule6.pm" and "Transform2.pm": ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> cat foldand0rule6_3.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Rule6; use Parse::Eyapp::YATW; use Data::Dumper; use Transform2; $Data::Dumper::Indent = 1; my $parser = new Rule6(); my $t = $parser->Run; print " ***** Before ****** "; print Dumper($t); $t->s(@Transform2::all); print " ***** After ****** "; print Dumper($t); ---------------------------------------------------------- When the program runs with input "b*(2-2)" produces the following output: ---------------------------------------------------------- nereida:~/LEyapp/examples> foldand0rule6_3.pl b*(2-2) ***** Before ****** $VAR1 = bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [], 'attr' => 'b', 'token' => 'VAR' }, 'TERMINAL' ) ] }, 'VAR' ), bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [], 'attr' => '2', 'token' => 'NUM' }, 'TERMINAL' ) ] }, 'NUM' ), bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [], 'attr' => '2', 'token' => 'NUM' }, 'TERMINAL' ) ] }, 'NUM' ) ] }, 'MINUS' ) ] }, 'TIMES' ); ***** After ****** $VAR1 = bless( { 'children' => [ bless( { 'children' => [], 'attr' => 0, 'token' => 'NUM' }, 'TERMINAL' ) ] }, 'NUM' ); ---------------------------------------------------------- See also the section "Compiling: More Options" in Parse::Eyapp for a more contrived example. SEE ALSO
o Parse::Eyapp, o eyapptut o The pdf file in <http://nereida.deioc.ull.es/~pl/perlexamples/Eyapp.pdf> o <http://nereida.deioc.ull.es/~pl/perlexamples/section_eyappts.html> (Spanish), o eyapp, o treereg, o Parse::yapp, o yacc(1), o bison(1), o the classic book "Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools" by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi and o Jeffrey D. Ullman (Addison-Wesley 1986) o Parse::RecDescent. AUTHOR
Casiano Rodriguez-Leon LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 by Casiano Rodriguez-Leon This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-06 TREEREG(1)