Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: to find the diff in a date
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to find the diff in a date Post 302340605 by zaxxon on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 04:20:31 AM
Old 08-04-2009
You might want to convert both dates to epoch time (seconds since 01.01.1970) and then compare if the difference is greater than 60*60*24*25 seconds.
There are various ways to convert using for example a perl module, date -d if your date command supports this or strftime in gawk.

Try googling for "convert date epoch shell" where shell can be exchanged to your type of shell or awk/gawk or perl or...
There is also a lot of questions and answers on date arithmetics in this forum here. You might want to use the search function.

I'll change your subject since it is a bit confusing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to look in directory for files with diff date

What kind of command can i use to search a directory and subdirectories for all files that do not have the same date? i want to find any files that do not match a date of Sep 13, 2002? Or that have a different owner or group? Any help appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with date and time diff

Hi , Can somebody please help me with this. The date format is in MM/DD/YY HH24:MI:SS suppose I have a start_date=09/03/02 04:15:02 & Finish date= 09/04/02 07:13:51 I want to find out the difference between the two ie finish_time-start time. How can I do this. Morever I want the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to Find Diff from two folders

Hi I would like to find the diff between two folders: Ex: Folder:1 html.java go.java ten.java Folder:2html.java go.java ten.java you.java Questions comes: Folder:1 contains a files with old version, know the files were modified and updated with the new version in Folder2. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff in date/time ?

the o/p is : Start Time: 2008-02-19 00:13:16,338 End Time: 2008-02-19 23:43:17,974 How to find the diff in time..........? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

5. Linux

diff date

Hi, One script is giving the date which is not contstant. and the need is to compare it with the current one and find the diff. if it is less than 15 days , need to send an e-mail. Date format coming from the script is October 24, 2055 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file timestamp with current date. Diff must be 1 hour.

Hello, I've created the script below to compare the content of two files with a delay of an hour. After an hour, the lines that exist in both files, will be printed and executed. The script now uses a counter to countdown 50 minutes. But what I would prefer is to check the file timestamp of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taipan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient way to find diff

I have two files A and B. I want to create file C which is A - B. I am currently using grep -v -f B A > C Is there a more efficient way. Files A and B are both large files Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find diff between two patterns in two files and append

Hi, I'm a newbie at programming in Unix, and I seem to have a task that is greater than I can handle. Trying to learn awk by the way (but in the end, i just need something that works). My goal is to compare two files and output the difference between the two. I've been reading, and I think I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato22
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Day/Hour diff between two date

Dear All I need to find out day diff between two dates. date -d or date -- day is not working in mine system. Currently i am using below code but it gives me wrong value while month change. IP: Date 1: 20150802 11:30:45 Date 2: 20150728 16:30:45 code used: awk '{t1=$2; t2=$4;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash diff date doesn't work

Hi everyone, I've an issue trying to soustracte two dates, e.g: d1=$(date -d "Nov 18, 2017" +%s) d2=$(date +%s) # Today we are 2017-11-16 echo "$(( (d1 - d2) / 86400 ))" Output: 1 I don't understand why it doesn't work. for me, it should give "18 - 16 = 2". Much appreciated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies
Template::Plugin::Date(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Template::Plugin::Date(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Date - Plugin to generate formatted date strings SYNOPSIS
[% USE date %] # use current time and default format [% date.format %] # specify time as seconds since epoch # or as a 'h:m:s d-m-y' or 'y-m-d h:m:s' string [% date.format(960973980) %] [% date.format('4:20:36 21/12/2000') %] [% date.format('2000/12/21 4:20:36') %] # specify format [% date.format(mytime, '%H:%M:%S') %] # specify locale [% date.format(date.now, '%a %d %b %y', 'en_GB') %] # named parameters [% date.format(mytime, format = '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(locale = 'en_GB') %] [% date.format(time = date.now, format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'en_GB) %] # specify default format to plugin [% USE date(format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'de_DE') %] [% date.format %] ... DESCRIPTION
The "Date" plugin provides an easy way to generate formatted time and date strings by delegating to the "POSIX" "strftime()" routine. The plugin can be loaded via the familiar USE directive. [% USE date %] This creates a plugin object with the default name of '"date"'. An alternate name can be specified as such: [% USE myname = date %] The plugin provides the "format()" method which accepts a time value, a format string and a locale name. All of these parameters are optional with the current system time, default format ('"%H:%M:%S %d-%b-%Y"') and current locale being used respectively, if undefined. Default values for the time, format and/or locale may be specified as named parameters in the "USE" directive. [% USE date(format = '%a %d-%b-%Y', locale = 'fr_FR') %] When called without any parameters, the "format()" method returns a string representing the current system time, formatted by "strftime()" according to the default format and for the default locale (which may not be the current one, if locale is set in the "USE" directive). [% date.format %] The plugin allows a time/date to be specified as seconds since the epoch, as is returned by "time()". File last modified: [% date.format(filemod_time) %] The time/date can also be specified as a string of the form "h:m:s d/m/y" or "y/m/d h:m:s". Any of the characters : / - or space may be used to delimit fields. [% USE day = date(format => '%A', locale => 'en_GB') %] [% day.format('4:20:00 9-13-2000') %] Output: Tuesday A format string can also be passed to the "format()" method, and a locale specification may follow that. [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y') %] [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB') %] A fourth parameter allows you to force output in GMT, in the case of seconds-since-the-epoch input: [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB', 1) %] Note that in this case, if the local time is not GMT, then also specifying '%Z' (time zone) in the format parameter will lead to an extremely misleading result. Any or all of these parameters may be named. Positional parameters should always be in the order "($time, $format, $locale)". [% date.format(format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(time => filemod, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', locale => 'fr_FR') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', gmt => 1) %] ...etc... The "now()" method returns the current system time in seconds since the epoch. [% date.format(date.now, '%A') %] The "calc()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Calc" module (if installed on your system). [% calc = date.calc %] [% calc.Monday_of_Week(22, 2001).join('/') %] The "manip()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Manip" module (if installed on your system). [% manip = date.manip %] [% manip.UnixDate("Noon Yesterday","%Y %b %d %H:%M") %] AUTHORS
Thierry-Michel Barral wrote the original plugin. Andy Wardley provided some minor fixups/enhancements, a test script and documentation. Mark D. Mills cloned "Date::Manip" from the "Date::Calc" sub-plugin. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Thierry-Michel Barral, Andy Wardley. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, POSIX perl v5.12.1 2009-06-30 Template::Plugin::Date(3)