Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem shmat in HP-UX. EINVAL Error Post 302340418 by dairby on Monday 3rd of August 2009 10:34:28 AM
Old 08-03-2009
Resolved problem:

cc DemoIPC.c -o -N DemoIPC
DemoIPC
chatr +as mpas DemoIPC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

shmat() permission denied, what's this?

I have installed an application that runs correctly for root but not other users. The application generates an error that indicates users don't have permission to attach to shared memory. A daemon process creates the shared memory segment. I've checked every permission I can think of but nothing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: km4hr
2 Replies

2. Programming

shmat problem

The first shmat in my program cannot fetch the start address of the shared memory. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> int main(int argc,char *argv) { int pid; key_t mykey; int shmid; long *shm; long *shm2; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yong
3 Replies

3. Linux

shmat() Failure While Using a Large Amount of Shared Memory

Hi, I'm developing a data processing pipeline with multiple stages, with data being moved between the stages using shared memory segments. The size of the data is typically of the order of hundreds of megabytes, and there are typically a few tens of main shared memory segments each of size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theicarusagenda
2 Replies

4. AIX

sharemem-f-shmat

Hi, I got this error from AIX 4.3.3/db2 7: * %SHAREMEM-F-SHMAT Error getting PUTPARM shared memory address , shmid=23029 * * 3630, errno=13 Anybody who know how to fix this? Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. Programming

Problem shmat in HP-UX Titanium ia64. EINVAL Error

I have a process that needs two active connections to the same zone of shared memory simultaneously. The firs conection works ok, but when i do the second call to shmat it give me error 22 (EINVAL). Only works ok the second call to shmat if i disconnect the first connection (shmdt) Steps:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dairby
3 Replies

6. Programming

request_irq always returns EINVAL

request_irq always returns EINVAL What am I doing wrong here ? int mydrvr_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp) { int ret; printk("<1> \nModule Opened!"); //disable_irq(4); //free_irq(4, NULL); ret = request_irq(4, &imr_interrupt_handler,IRQF_SHARED,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
0 Replies

7. Programming

shmat() with fixed address

Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a 64bit machine. In my shmat() call, I want to assign fixed memory address to shmaddr variable. I have no idea which address value to give. Some where in the net I read we can make use of sysproc info to know the user space addresses, but could not figure out how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjar
1 Replies

8. SuSE

shmat failed due to Cannot allocate memory

Hi, My program was running for a whole night. after 12 hours i got an error message "Cannot allocate memory" during the shmat commmand. So can you please let me know what could be the reason? is there any solution? thanks in advance. Regards, Mano (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharanMani
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error

Hello, I have another problem with my script. Please accept my apologies, but I am really nooby in sh scripts. I am writing it for first time. My script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i "Error"` echo $returned if ; then echo "There is no errors in the logs" fi And after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Error Problem

Hi Below script is throwing an error: repos=root filename=/home/admin/Desktop/authz case $repos in root) root_folder="\" do sed "/$root_folder/a $username = $access" $filename done ;; esac exit 0 Error: ./new1.sh: line 77: syntax error near unexpected token `do' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies
chatr_pa(1)						      General Commands Manual						       chatr_pa(1)

NAME
chatr_pa: chatr - change program's internal attributes on PA-RISC systems SYNOPSIS
PA-RISC 32-bit SOM chatr library] mode] flag] flag] flag] flag] flag] size] size] flag] library] flag] size] size] flag] flag] flag] flag] flag] flag] flag] file ... PA-RISC 64-bit ELF chatr There are two possible syntactic forms that can be used to invoke PA-RISC 64-bit The first syntactic form, which is compatible with the SOM is used for backward compatibility, and for easy manipulation of ordinary files that only have a single text and a single data segment: library] mode] flag] flag] flag] flag] flag] size] flag] library] flag] flag] flag] size] size] flag] flag] flag] file ... The second syntactic form provides the ability to explicitly specify segments to be modified: mode] flag] flag] flag] flag] size] flag] flag] index | address | ] flag] file ... Remarks This manpage describes on PA-RISC systems. For on Integrity systems, see chatr_ia(1). DESCRIPTION
allows you to change a program's internal attributes for 32-bit mode SOM and 64-bit mode ELF files. Upon completion, prints the file's old and new values to standard output unless is specified. The and options only provide a hint for the virtual memory page size. The actual page sizes may vary. Under certain conditions, page size hints of may result in better performance, depending on the specific memory requirements of the application. The performance of some applications may benefit from static branch prediction, others may not. The option provides a hint for using or avoiding this feature. The and related options provide performance enhancements through use of global symbol table which improves searching for exported symbols. See dld.sl(5) and the for more information. Common Options For PA-RISC 32-bit SOM And PA-RISC 64-bit ELF (FORMAT 1) chatr by default, prints each file's magic number and file attributes to the standard output. Indicate that the specified shared library is subject to run-time path lookup if directory path lists are provided (see and Change file from demand-loaded to shared (Ignored in PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 1.) Change file from shared to demand-loaded (Ignored in PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 1.) Perform its operation silently. (Available with the PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 2 command.) Select run-time binding behavior mode of a program using shared libraries. You must specify one of the major binding modes or One or more of the binding modifiers or can also be specified, each with a separate option. See the manual for a description of binding modes. (Available with the PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 2 command.) Control whether the embedded path list stored when the program (if any) was built can be used to locate shared libraries needed by the program. The two flag val- ues, and respectively enable and disable use of the embedded path list. However, you cannot use on an ELF (PA-RISC 64-bit) file and a warning message is issued. See the option. You can use the option to enable the embedded path for filter libraries. Controls the mapping of shared library text segments privately. The flag values, and toggle the request on and off. When enabled, this allows for mapping the text segments of shared libraries in a private, writable region. Also, you can use this feature on individual shared libraries, which makes the text segment mapped private. If contains the string "", all shared libraries are mapped private. You can specify a colon- separated list of shared library base names with this option, following an equal character; for example: When used with this allows text segments of shared libraries to be merged. Control the ability of user code to execute from stack with the flag values, and See the section below for additional information related to security issues. Control whether the global symbol table hash mechanism is used to look up values of symbol import/export entries. The two flag values, and respectively enable and disable use of the global symbol table hash mechanism. The default is Request a particular hash array size using the global symbol table hash mechanism. The value can vary between 1 and The default value is 1103. Use this option with Request kernel assisted branch prediction. The flags and turn this request on and off, respectively. (Available with the PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 2 command.) Indicate that the specified shared library is not subject to run-time path lookup if directory path lists are provided (see and or the dynamic loader to automatically preload and also maps shared libraries as private. The library is used to support heap analysis through GDB. Controls the shared library segment merging feature. The flag values, and toggle this request ON and OFF. See the description of shared library segment merging in the When enabled, all the data segments of the shared libraries loaded at program startup are merged. This increases run-time per- formance by allowing the kernel to use larger size page table entries. Request a particular virtual memory page size that should be used for data. Sizes of and are supported. A size of will result in using the largest page size available. The actual page size may vary if the requested size cannot be fulfilled. Request a particular virtual memory page size that should be used for instructions. See the option for additional information. Request static branch prediction when executing this program. The flags and turn this request on and off, respectively. (Available with the PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 2 command.) This is an to the option. Control whether the directory path list specified with the environment variable can be used to locate shared libraries needed by the program. The two flag values, and respectively enable and disable use of the environment variable. If both and are used, their relative order on the command line indi- cates which path list will be searched first. See the option. (Available with the PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 2 command.) Enable lazy swap on all data segments (using PA-RISC 32-bit or PA-RISC 64-bit FORMAT 1) or on a specific segment (using PA-RISC 64-bit ELF FORMAT 2). May not be used with non-data segments. Enable null pointer dereference trap. Run-time dereference of null pointers will produce a SIGSEGV signal. (This is the complement of the option.) Disable null pointer dereference trap. (This is the complement of the option.) Options For PA-RISC 32-bit SOM chatr Only Change file from to (This option is an interim solution until 64-bit addressability is available with a true 64-bit kernel. See and below.) Change file from to (This option is an interim solution until 64-bit addressability is available with a true 64-bit kernel. See below.) Request a particular number of buckets per entry using the global symbol table hash mechanism. The value can vary between 1 and The default value is 3. Use this option with Control the use of the plabel caching mechanism. The flags and turn this request on and off, respectively. The default is Use this option with This option is effective with C++. In C++ applications, the dynamic loader needs to repetitively access PLABEL information (import stub). In order to make this access faster, the dynamic loader uses the global symbol table structure to also con- tain PLABEL entries. This behavior is enabled when the PLABEL_CACHE flag is set in the structure (enabled or Control the flag bit setting to indicate how 32-bit processes use the third quadrant as data space. The flag sets the flag bit to indicate that 32-bit processes use the third quadrant as a private data space. By setting the bit, the private data space increases from 1.9GB to 2.85GB for 32-bit processes. The flag unsets the bit, which returns the third quadrant to the default state, in which it is used for shared memory. This flag mechanism differs from how to set usage for the first and second quadrants. Set these values by using the magic number of the executable. (See the and options.) See the section below for more details and compatibility issues. Control the flag bit setting to indicate how 32-bit processes use the third and fourth quadrant as data space. The flag sets the flag bit to indicate that 32-bit processes use the fourth quadrant as a private data space. By setting the flag bit, the private data space increases from 1.9GB to 3.8GB for 32-bit processes. When you set the fourth quadrant for private data space, the third quadrant is automatically set for use as private data space, ignoring the current value. The flag unsets the flag bit, which returns the fourth quadrant to the default state, in which it is used for shared memory. With the value of the flag controls whether the third quadrant is used as a private data space or for shared memory. This flag mechanism differs from how to set usage for the first and second quadrants. Set these values by using the magic number of the executable. (See the and options.) See the section below for more details and compatibility issues. Options For PA-RISC 64-bit ELF chatr PA-RISC 64-bit ELF is similar to SOM but supports new options (and obsoletes others). New options: Set the code bit for the file's data segment(s). Set the code bit for the file's text segments(s). Set the modification bit for the file's data segment(s). Set the modification bit for the file's text segment(s). With common options: mode, flag, flag, flag, flag. Set the code bit for a specified segment. Enable or disable lazy swap allocation for dynamically allocated segments (such as the stack or heap). Set the modification bit for a specified segment. Set the page size for a specified segment. Specify a segment using an address for a set of attribute modifications. Use all segments in the file for a set of attribute modifications. Specify a segment using a segment index number for a set of attribute modifications. chatr and MAGIC Numbers The term applies to the magic number while the term applies to the magic number See magic(4) and the for more information. labels the following type of executables in output. shared executable demand load executable normal executable normal executable The linker produces executables by default. Using SHMEM_MAGIC is an interim solution until 64-bit addressability is available with a true 64-bit kernel. will not be supported on future HP implementations of 64-bit architectures (beyond PA-RISC 2.0). Programs that need larger than 1.75 GB of shared memory on those architectures will have to be recompiled (as 64-bit executables) for those architectures. Programs that are compiled as 64-bit executables on any 64-bit HP implementation (including PA-RISC 2.0) cannot be marked as nor do they need to be as they will already have access to more than 1.75 GB of shared memory. The additional 1 GB of shared memory that is available over other types of executables can be availed of only for system V shared memory and not other forms of shared memory (like memory mapped files). Large Private Data Space Starting from the 11i release of HP-UX, an additional 1 to 2GB of private address space is made available for 32-bit programs (if enabled on a per process basis), at the expense of shared memory address space. This change increases the amount of private data space available for a process. Two new options, and have been added to the command that allow the user to control whether the 3rd quadrant (the 1GB of address space from 0x80000000-0xBFFFFFFF) and the 4th quadrant (the 1GB of address space from 0xC0000000-0xFFFFFFFF) of a process are part of the processes private address space or are shared with other running processes. Previously, the 3rd and 4th quadrants were dedicated for shared object usage. For example, System V shared memory and memory mapped files using a shared mapping In order to use this new feature, the maxdsiz kernel configurable variable will need to be increased appropriately; see maxdsiz(5). Also, the system will have to enable enough swap space to support processes with large private address spaces. Compatibility issues Processes that enable a private 3rd quadrant processes) will reduce the amount of address space available for shared objects by 1GB. Also, processes will not be able to share objects that were created by another, process, even in the 4th quadrant, unless those objects were cre- ated by the process using the flag (System V shared memory) or If recompiling is not an option, it will be necessary to make all processes that share objects with the process into processes Processes that enable a private 4th quadrant processes) will have no address space available for shared objects. This means that the process will not be able to use System V shared memory, shared mapped files, etc. Shared libraries will still work, although the kernel will map them as private. Note that a process implies that the 3rd quadrant is private also. In other words, the kernel will not execute a process that only enables a private 4th quadrant. Because the system call gateway page has to remain at address 0xC0000000 for binary compatibility reasons, the data segment cannot be extended past the beginning of the 4th quadrant. Therefore, the and system calls will only allow the data segment to be expanded up to that address. To take advantage of private address space in the 4th quadrant, memory will need to be allocated using the system call with the option. The system call has been modified to do this automatically. No re-link will be necessary to take advantage of the new for a program that uses a shared version of the C library. A program that was linked with a non-shared library version of the C library, however, will need to be re-linked. These changes have no compatibility impacts if the feature is not enabled. This feature can only be enabled for 32-bit programs running on the 64-bit version of HP-UX. The 32-bit version of HP-UX will silently ignore the request for a private 3rd or 4th quadrant. Restricting Execute Permission on Stacks A frequent or common method of breaking into systems is by maliciously overflowing buffers on a program's stack, such as passing unusually long, carefully chosen command line arguments to a privileged program that does not expect them. Malicious unprivileged users can use this technique to trick a privileged program into starting a superuser shell for them, or to perform similar unauthorized actions. One simple yet highly effective way to reduce the risk from this type of attack is to remove the execute permission from a program's stack pages. This improves system security without sacrificing performance and has no negative effects on the vast majority of legitimate appli- cations. The changes described in this section only affect the very small number of programs that try to execute (or are tricked into exe- cuting) instructions located on the program's stack(s). If the stack protection feature described in this section is enabled for a program and that program attempts to execute code from its stack(s), the HP-UX kernel will terminate the program with a signal, display a message referring to this manual page section, and log an error message to the system message log (use to view the error message). The message logged by the kernel is: If you see one of these messages, check with the program's owner to determine whether this program is legitimately executing code from its stack. If it is, you can use one or both of the methods described below to make the program functional again. If the program is not legitimately executing code from its stack, you should suspect malicious activity and take appropriate action. HP-UX provides two options to permit legitimate execution from a program's stack(s). Combinations of these two options help make site-spe- cific tradeoffs between security and compatibility. The first method is the use of the option of and affects individual programs. It is typically used to specify that a particular binary must be able to execute from its stack, regardless of the system default setting. This allows a restrictive system default while not pre- venting legitimate programs from executing code on their stack(s). Ideally this option should be set (if needed) by the program's provider, to minimize the need for manual intervention by whomever installs the program. An alternate method is setting the kernel tunable parameter, to set a system-wide default for whether stacks are executable. Setting the parameter to 1 (one) with (see sam(1M)) tells the HP-UX kernel not to execute protect program stack(s). This is the preferred setting if compatibility with older releases is more important than security. Setting it to a 0 (zero) is appropriate if security is more important than compatibility. This is the recommended setting, because it significantly improves system security with minimal, if any, negative effects on legitimate applications. Combinations of these settings may be appropriate for many applications. For example, after setting to 0, you may find that one or two critical applications no longer work because they have a legitimate need to execute from their stack(s). Programs such as simulators or interpreters that use self-modifying code are examples you might encounter. To obtain the security benefits of a restrictive system default while still letting these specific applications run correctly, set to 0, and run on the specific binaries that need to execute code from their stack(s). These binaries can be easily identified when they are executed, because they will print error messages referring to this manual page. The possible settings for are as follows: A setting of 0 (the default value) causes stacks to be non-executable and is strongly preferred from a security perspective. A setting of 1 causes all program stacks to be executable, and is safest from a compatibility perspective but is the least secure setting for this parameter. A setting of 2 is equivalent to a setting of 0, except that it gives non-fatal warnings instead of terminating a process that is trying to execute from its stack. Using this setting is helpful for users to gain confidence that using a value of 0 will not hurt their legitimate applications. Again, there is less security protection. The table below summarizes the results from using the possible combinations of and when executing from the program's stack. Running relies solely on the setting of the kernel tunable parameter when deciding whether or not to grant execute permission for stacks and is equivalent to not having run on the binary. chatr +es executable_stack ACTION ------------------------------------------------------------------------ enable 1 program runs normally disable or chatr is not run 1 program runs normally ------------------------------------------------------------------------ enable 0 program runs normally disable or chatr is not run 0 program is killed ------------------------------------------------------------------------ enable 2 program runs normally disable or chatr is not run 2 program runs normally with warning displayed RETURN VALUE
returns zero on success. If the command line contents is syntactically incorrect, or one or more of the specified files cannot be acted upon, returns information about the files whose attributes could not be modified. If no files are specified, returns decimal 255. Illegal options For PA-RISC 32-bit if you use an illegal option, returns the number of words in the command line. For example, returns 5 (because of illegal option returns 8. For PA-RISC 64-bit if you use an illegal option, returns the number of non-option words present after the first illegal option. returns 4. Invalid arguments If you use an invalid argument with a valid option and you do not specify a file name, both PA-RISC 32-bit and 64-bit return 0. returns 0. For PA-RISC 32-bit if you specify a file name (regardless of whether or not the file exists), returns number of words in the command line. returns 4. For PA-RISC 64-bit if you specify a file name (regardless of whether or not the file exists), returns the number of files specified. returns 3. Invalid files For both PA-RISC 32-bit and 64-bit if the command cannot act on any of the files given, it returns the total number of files specified (if some option is specified). Otherwise it returns the number of files upon which it could not act. (where does not have read/write permission) returns 4. returns 1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The following internationalization variables affect the execution of Determines the locale category for native language, local customs and coded character set in the absence of and other environment variables. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of (see lang(5)) is used instead of Determines the values for all locale categories and has precedence over and other environment variables. Determines the locale category for character handling functions. Determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the locale category for numeric formatting. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to See envi- ron(5). In addition, the following environment variable affects Specifies a directory for temporary files (see tmpnam(3S)). EXAMPLES
Change to demand-loaded Change binding mode of program file that uses shared libraries to immediate and nonfatal. Also enable usage of environment variable: Disallow run-time path lookup for the shared library that the shared library depends on: Given segment index number 5 from a previous run of change the page size to 4 kilobytes: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
System Tools ld(1) invoke the link editor Miscellaneous a.out(4) assembler, compiler, and linker output magic(4) magic number for HP-UX implementations sam(1M) system administration manager executable_stack(5) controls whether program stacks are executable by default Texts and Tutorials (See the option) (See manuals(5) for ordering information) PA-RISC Systems Only chatr_pa(1)