Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Server Migration
Operating Systems Solaris Server Migration Post 302340245 by sparcguy on Monday 3rd of August 2009 05:25:30 AM
Old 08-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by asalman.qazi
Hi All

We are having a very old server that is working on solaris 5.6 and oracle7.
now We are planning to migrate it to a Solaris 8 and oracle 9 environment.
The application software of the server is basically written in ProC and there are few sql ,perl and shell scripts on the server . We have lost the original code and have a dump of the server on an 8MM python tape. Can anybody tell me that will it be possible to relocate the server to the new environment and if not what are the changes that should be made and what is the detailed procedure that should be followed . Any help will be appriciated as i am in urgent need of this information
Haven't done migrations in a while, migration usually never easy and many unknowns.

Well for one thing solaris 2.6 is running 32bit solaris 8/9 are all 64bit but have 32bit libraries, so if you have apps written on solaris 2.6 ProC maybe it will work maybe it will break so you will have to test. Or run the OS in 32bit mode

# /usr/sbin/eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"
OK> setenv boot-file kernel/unix

Other things like oracle application manager, if you are using may have licensing issues you need to check. All your old apps you need to check for any possible licensing issues. The old licensing in the past was usually tied to server hostid, or server IP address or network interface, you need to check.

if tied to hostid see if possible to remove the hostid chip on system board to transfer to new server(check with your support)

I suggest do the mirgation on another server but do not destroy the original box or at least remove the old hardisks from original box and keep it aside as a backout plan.

Original server:
Firstly tar /etc and location of all your scripts

tar cvfp /dev/rmt/0 ./etc

Do a full DB export dump & copy the dump to tape.(for import to new oracle version)

Do a tar $ORACLE_HOME/dbs to tape (all the oracle scripts here)

Check the sizing of your database

On new server,
install OS and boot in 32bit mode.
Install new oracle binaries from cdrom and create a new empty dummy database with the appropriate sizing.(make sure this runs as 32bit also)
Import in from the oracle dmp file.

manually copy in one by one all the scripts(from your ./etc tar)

trial and error testing.

best of luck.

Last edited by sparcguy; 08-03-2009 at 06:32 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Migration from OLD server to NEW one

Hi everybody, I want ask if it is possible to copy all storage structure (VGs, LVs & filesystems) from one server to another. In other words, I want to move my system from old server to new one, so I want the new server exactly have the same sizes and number of VGs, LVs, & filesystems. Thanks... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
11 Replies

2. AIX

How will do migration through NIM server in AIX

Can any one help..... How will do migration through NIM server? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Server Migration: Problems with attributes

I am migrating from a host to another and I am trying to mimic the attributes on the old server. Only problem is I can't figure out a fast way. Any recommendations? Initially I thought about listing all my files on my previous host, but for some reason the listing of all files produced... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raykon
2 Replies

4. Linux

CentOS Live Server Migration?

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a while but have never needed to post asking for a bit of help until now. Long story short, I have a test of sorts scheduled with a prospective employer, a managed web hosting company, that involves migrating a hypothetical customer from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deputy Cartman
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Storage Migration on Solaris server

Hi All, I need your help urgently. Below I have given the brief description of the Architecture and the Problem. The brief details of the architecture: We have 5 Containers(Non-Global Zones) running on one T5220 Box. The Global Zone is running Solaris 10. The Non-global Zones are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldeep1986
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Print server Migration from AIX to Linux

Hi, Can anyone help me on migration the print server from AIX to RHEL 4? Appreciate your help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brby07
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Server migration from samba+ldap to windows server 2003

Hi, i have a server installed samba+openldap (pdc). Need to migration windows server 2003 (active directory) object users, computers. Where you can read how to do it? Or can tell me how to do it? Thanks. P.S. Sorry for bad english (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap0st0l
0 Replies

8. AIX

Server migration

Hi, Existing several p5 server with lpar (aix5.3), also implemented with hacmp. And now planning to buy new set of server (installing aix7.1)and SAN to replace the existing server. My question is, how to perform data migration from old server/SAN to new server/SAN. Suppose I install... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oceanlo2013
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Server migration - using ufsdump

hi all, i am refreshing my hardware, but i do not want to do a clean installation/reinstallation. I am wondering if i could do - do a ufsdump of the / partition (into a file on a nfs share) - bootup using cdrom in the new machine - mount the boot device/slice, and restore the ufsdump on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
7 Replies
BBHOSTGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual						     BBHOSTGREP(1)

NAME
bbhostgrep - pick out lines in bb-hosts SYNOPSIS
bbhostgrep --help bbhostgrep --version bbhostgrep [--noextras] [--test-untagged] [--bbdisp] [--bbnet] TAG [TAG...] DESCRIPTION
bbhostgrep(1) is for use by extension scripts that need to pick out the entries in a bb-hosts file that are relevant to the script. The utility accepts test names as parameters, and will then parse the bb-hosts file and print out the host entries that have at least one of the wanted tests specified. Tags may be given with a trailing asterisk '*', e.g. "bbhostgrep http*" is needed to find all http and https tags. The bbhostgrep utility supports the use of "include" directives inside the bb-hosts file, and will find matching tags in all included files. If the DOWNTIME or SLA tags are used in the bb-hosts(5) file, these are interpreted relative to the current time. bbhostgrep then outputs a "INSIDESLA" or "OUTSIDESLA" tag for easier use by scripts that want to check if the current time is inside or outside the expected uptime window. OPTIONS
--noextras Remove the "testip", "dialup", "INSIDESLA" and "OUTSIDESLA" tags from the output. --test-untagged When using the BBLOCATION environment variable to test only hosts on a particular network segment, bbtest-net will ignore hosts that do not have any "NET:x" tag. So only hosts that have a NET:$BBLOCATION tag will be tested. With this option, hosts with no NET: tag are included in the test, so that all hosts that either have a matching NET: tag, or no NET: tag at all are tested. --no-down[=TESTNAME] bbhostgrep will query the Xymon server for the current status of the "conn" test, and if TESTNAME is specified also for the current state of the specified test. If the status of the "conn" test for a host is non-green, or the status of the TESTNAME test is dis- abled, then this host is ignored and will not be included in the output. This can be used to ignore hosts that are down, or hosts where the custom test is disabled. --bbdisp Search the bb-hosts file following include statements as a BBDISPLAY server would. --bbnet Search the bb-hosts file following include statements as a BBNET server would. EXAMPLE
If your bb-hosts file looks like this 192.168.1.1 www.test.com # ftp telnet !oracle 192.168.1.2 db1.test.com # oracle 192.168.1.3 mail.test.com # smtp and you have a custom Xymon extension script that performs the "oracle" test, then running "bbhostgrep oracle" would yield 192.168.1.1 www.test.com # !oracle 192.168.1.2 db1.test.com # oracle so the script can quickly find the hosts that are of interest. Note that the reverse-test modifier - "!oracle" - is included in the output; this also applies to the other test modifiers defined by Xymon (the dialup and always-true modifiers). If your extension scripts use more than one tag, just list all of the interesting tags on the command line. bbhostgrep also supports the "NET:location" tag used by bbtest-net, so if your script performs network checks then it will see only the hosts that are relevant for the test location that the script currently executes on. USE IN EXTENSION SCRIPTS
To integrate bbhostgrep into an existing script, look for the line in the script that grep's in the $BBHOSTS file. Typically it will look somewhat like this: $GREP -i "^[0-9].*#.*TESTNAME" $BBHOSTS | ... code to handle test Instead of the grep, we will use bbhostgrep. It then becomes $BBHOME/bin/bbhostgrep TESTNAME | ... code to handle test which is simpler, less error-prone and more efficient. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBLOCATION If set, bbhostgrep outputs only lines from bb-hosts that have a matching NET:$BBLOCATION setting. BBHOSTS Filename for the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. FILES
$BBHOSTS The Xymon bb-hosts file SEE ALSO
bb-hosts(5), hobbitserver.cfg(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 BBHOSTGREP(1)