Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Information about taking dump of a unix server on a tape and then restoring Post 302340185 by sbk1972 on Monday 3rd of August 2009 03:21:53 AM
Old 08-03-2009
look up the commands :-

ufsdump / ufsrestore
tar
dd
flarcreate

All the above commands can be taylored to copy your system drives to a tape device unit. A system can be backed up into one big chunk, little slices, partitions, or individual files.

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a file from Tape

help please i have "inherited" a Sco Server (the administrator departed in a hurry...yes we are chasing him..) and haven't used Unix for 8 years. i have a file that i need to retrieve from a tape. i have been able to find the file on tape using the cpio -ivt command. however... the problem I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfischer
3 Replies

2. AIX

Problems restoring from tape in AIX

I am trying to restore some files from a DLT drive in AIX 4.3 but I am having a few problems. Basically when I try to run the restore command I get the following error: Cannot read from the specified input. Please enter the device name when ready I am the following command for the restore ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Hunter
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring tape files...

Hi all, I have kinda inherited this problem, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Currently all our backup rentention periods are set to 2 weeks, so that we can cycle through tapes (save money etc...). Anyhow the guys next door in IT, decided one day long long ago, that it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem restoring files from remote tape drive

Server 1 - Sun Solaris 5.8 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R with attached DLT tape drive /dev/rmt/0n Server 2 - Old DG-UX box which has restore command on it compatible with the files on the backyup tape - backed up with dump2 Server 3 - Sun solaris 5.9 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490 with lots of free space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindab
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drives used for taking backups

Hi, I am a abit new in AIX system administration field. I want to gather knowledge about backup techniques. As per my knowledge we use Tape archives for taking backups. Can anyone pls explain me in detail abt tape archive? Whether these tape archives come along with the systems or we have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsrahul
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script fot taking mount information

Hi all, I want to take the details of all mounted directories.Some thing like using bdf we can get the information. My code should get the information about the mounted directories and should write into a file. What we are going to do is we are going to shutdown our HP unix server... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Restoring dump from tape to SCSI disk

Hi Gurus, I need help. Mine is an Ultra 10 machine running on solaris 7. Problem with solaris 7 is, it can no longer recognize IDE disks greater that 10GB. My workaround is ro use an external SCSI disk since it is recognizable with solaris 7. I backup my filesystems (residing on the IDE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domesat
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring problem on tape!

hi all , a messages appeared to me when i was checking my /var/adm/messages and the below code was in it Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod scsi: /pci@3,700000/SUNW,emlxs@0/fp@0,0/st@w21000024ff305234,7 (st1): Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod Restoring tape position at fileno=320,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Issues restoring a large dump file

Post deleted. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nobody_knows_me
0 Replies
BACKUP_READLABEL(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_READLABEL(8)

NAME
       backup_readlabel - Reads and displays a tape's label

SYNOPSIS
       backup readlabel [-portoffset <TC port offset>]
	   [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup rea [-p <TC port offset>]
	   [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup readlabel command displays information from the magnetic tape label of a tape. The information includes the tape's name (either
       a permanent name, or an AFS tape name that reflects the tape's contents in a prescribed format) and its capacity.

If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then
       the backup readlabel command reads the label information from the first 16 KB block in the backup data file listed for that port offset in
       the Tape Coordinator's /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, rather than from the beginning of a tape.

The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the tape by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the local
       /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT" instruction.
       However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included the
       -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already.  If it is not, the Tape Coordinator invokes
       the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator.

OPTIONS
       -portoffset <TC port offset>
	   Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       Output from this command appears in both the shell window where the command is issued, and in the Tape Coordinator window.

If the tape is unlabeled or if the specified tape device is empty, the output reads

Failed to read tape label.

Otherwise, the output in the shell window has the following format:

Tape read was labelled: <tape name> (<dump id>)
	       size: <size> Kbytes

where <tape name> is the permanent name if the tape has one, or the AFS tape name otherwise. The <dump ID> is dump ID of the initial dump
       on the tape, and <size> is the recorded capacity of the tape in kilobytes.

The output in the Tape Coordinator windows is bounded by an underlined "Tape label" header at the top, and the following string at the
       bottom:

-- End of tape label --

In between are lines reporting the following information:

tape name
	   The permanent name assigned by using the -pname argument of the backup labeltape command. This name remains on the tape until that
	   argument is used again, no matter how many times the tape is recycled or otherwise relabeled. If the tape does not have a permanent
	   name, the value "<NULL>" appears in this field.

AFS tape name
	   A tape name in one of the following prescribed formats. The Backup System automatically writes the appropriate AFS tape name to the
	   label as part of a backup dump or backup savedb operation, or the operator can assign it with the -name argument to the backup
	   labeltape command.

o   volume_set_name.dump_level_name.tape_index, if the tape contains volume data. The volume_set_name is the name of the volume set
	       that was dumped to create the initial dump in the dump set of to which this tape belongs; dump_level_name is the last pathname
	       element of the dump level at which the initial dump was backed up; and tape_index is the numerical position of the tape in the dump
	       set.

o   "Ubik.db.dump."tape_index if the tape contains a dump of the Backup Database, created with the backup savedb command. The
	       tape_index is the ordinal of the tape in the dump set.

o   "<NULL>" if the tape has no AFS tape name. This is normally the case if the -name argument was not included the last time the
	       backup labeltape command was used on this tape, and no data has been written to it since.

creationTime
	   The date and time at which the Backup System started performing the dump operation that created the initial dump.

cell
	   The cell in which the dump set was created. This is the cell whose Backup Database contains a record of the dump set.

size
	   The tape's capacity (in kilobytes) as recorded on the label, rather than the amount of data on the tape. The value is assigned by the
	   -size argument to the backup labeltape command or derived from the /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file on the Tape Coordinator
	   machine, not from a measurement of the tape.

dump path
	   The dump level of the initial dump in the dump set.

dump id
	   The dump ID number of the initial dump in the dump set, as recorded in the Backup Database.

useCount
	   The number of times a dump has been written to the tape, or it has been relabeled.

The message "ReadLabel: Finished" indicates the completion of the output.

EXAMPLES
       The following example shows the output for the tape with permanent name "oct.guest.dump" and capacity 2 MB, expressed in kilobyte units
       (2097152 equals 2 times 10242).

% backup readlabel -portoffset 6
	  Tape read was labelled: oct.guest.dump (907215000)
	       size: 2097152 Kbytes

The output in the Tape Coordinator window reads:

Tape label
	  ----------
	  tape name = oct.guest.dump
	  AFS tape name = guests.monthly.3
	  creationTime = Thu Oct 1 00:10:00 1998
	  cell = abc.com
	  size = 2097152 Kbytes
	  dump path = /monthly
	  dump id = 907215000
	  useCount = 5
	  ---- End of tape label ----

The following example is for a tape that does not have a permanent tape.

% backup readlabel -portoffset 6
	  Tape read was labelled: guests.monthly.2 (909899900)
	       size: 2097152 Kbytes

The output in the Tape Coordinator window reads:

Tape label
	  ----------
	  tape name = <NULL>
	  AFS tape name = guests.monthly.2
	  creationTime = Sun Nov 1 00:58:20 1998
	  cell = abc.com
	  size = 2097152 Kbytes
	  dump path = /monthly
	  dump id = 909899900
	  useCount = 1
	  ---- End of tape label ----

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       butc(5), backup(8), backup_labeltape(8), butc(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26						       BACKUP_READLABEL(8)