Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbering duplicates
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numbering duplicates Post 302340032 by kylle345 on Sunday 2nd of August 2009 02:06:34 AM
Old 08-02-2009
Numbering duplicates

Hi,

I have this large file and sometimes there are duplicates and I want to basically find them and figure how many there are.

So I have a file with multiple columns and the last column (9) has the duplicates.

eg.

yan
tar
tar
man
ban
tan
tub
tub
tub

Basically what I want to do is label non duplicates as "0" and duplicates as "0", "1" and in the case of triplicates "0", "1" and "2"

So the output file will look like this

yan 0
tar 0
tar 1
man 0
ban 0
tan 0
tub 0
tub 1
tub 2

thanks

KylleSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbering of process

:confused: How does UNIX handle the numbering of processes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweety111
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering!

Just a shot question... how to make 1,2,3,...999 into the form of 001,002,003....999 (3 digits) Thanks.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglemon
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering

I'm trying to do a script that will look for a log file if it is already there change the name to another name. I.E if log.0 is there rename to log.1 rename log.1 to log.2 rename log.2 to log.3 and so on. Only thing is I got no idea where or what is the best command to use for this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

numbering blanks

hello i'm trying to figure out how to number a blank line. For instance this : sed '/./=' file | sed '/./N; s/\n/ /' gives me 1 aaaa 2 bbbbbb 4 cccccc 5 ffkkkfff 6 ffsdfdfs I would like something like this: 1 aaaaa 2 3 bbbbbb 4 5 cccccc And so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisher115
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering Lines

Hello everyone, I want get numbered lines from a file. and i can do it with: sed = file.txt | sed "/./N; s/\n/ /" | sed -n "5,7p" but the output that i get is something similar to: 5 line5 6 line6 7 line7 and i want something like this (with 2points after the number): 5:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibra
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering the rows

If I a list of components, is there anyway to number (like automatically have: 1,2,3,...) the rows of my data? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with numbering a file

Hi, All I need to do is number a file. The file looks like this > JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ > JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ > MMMMYKKKJKKK what I want to do is number it so that theres a numerical value beside the >. >1 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ >2 JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering file's lines

hey a file called test : Code: hey1 hey2 hey3 ........ how to : Code: 1.hey1 2.hey2 3.hey3 .......... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incremental numbering?

Would it be possible for a script to duplicate a file and incrementally number it? File in: XXX_007_0580_xxxx_v0016.aep File out: XXX_007_0580_xxxx_v0017.aep If someone knows of a way I'd love to see it. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering by field

I'm not really sure how to explain this but I will try. In the attached file if $4=$4 and $5="-" then the last record is 1 and the one above that is 2, etc... However, $4=$4 and $5="-" then the first record is 1 and the one below that is 2, etc... "-" example: chr10 90694830 90695123... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)