Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Suggestions on furthering my skills? Post 302340023 by phoxly on Saturday 1st of August 2009 10:30:24 PM
Old 08-01-2009
Yeah I planned on getting a good base knowledge behind me with shell scripting before moving forward with a new programming language.

Also what are some tips to keep motivated toward learning a new language? I don't exactly have daily 'problems' that require I make some cool program to solve them, so do you have any suggestions on practice?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Don't want destroy windows! Ask skills

I am going to install Linux/Debian on my computer. My current OS is windows 98. My question is that if I install Linux, it is required to partition the hard drive. Windows may be destroyed. I still want to keep it. I have no windows installtion CD. I don't want to buy it. Can I avoid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I focus efforts on learning Perl or develop skills in awk, sed, etc

Good afternoon, I am not trying to start a debate. Please don't take it that way. I'm not trying to make this a Perl versus Bash scripts thing. I have been writing shell scripts for several years. I am not 100%, but I seem to get the job done. I would like to start focusing on spending... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills

Hi , I would like to do some exercises/scripts in order to develop my skills in shell scripts, can someone pass me some links/suggestions where i can find this? Thanks a lot :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
3 Replies

5. AIX

How do you keep your AIX skills up to date?

I am very curious to find out how AIX admins keep up to date and refreshed with all of the options and features of AIX without having access to a test environment? Usually going on a course requires practice otherwise the knowledge gained can get lost very quickly. How do you practice for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colin_Fearnley
5 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal -- displays a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [-smjy13] [[month] year] DESCRIPTION
Cal displays a simple calendar. If arguments are not specified, the current month is displayed. The options are as follows: -1 Display single month output. (This is the default.) -3 Display prev/current/next month output. -s Display Sunday as the first day of the week. (This is the default.) -m Display Monday as the first day of the week. -j Display Julian dates (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -y Display a calendar for the current year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month (1 - 12) and year. If no parameters are specified, the current month's calendar is displayed. A year starts on Jan 1. The Gregorian Reformation is assumed to have occurred in 1752 on the 3rd of September. By this time, most countries had recognized the ref- ormation (although a few did not recognize it until the early 1900's.) Ten days following that date were eliminated by the reformation, so the calendar for that month is a bit unusual. HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. OTHER VERSIONS
Several much more elaborate versions of this program exist, with support for colors, holidays, birthdays, reminders and appointments, etc. For example, try the cal from http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/projects.html or GNU gcal. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD