Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program Post 302340019 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 1st of August 2009 09:09:55 PM
Old 08-01-2009
Please use CODE tags

How did you read the symbol table - dlopen and dlsym?
Check this link,

elf(3ELF) - object file access library (man pages section 3: Extended Library Functions) - Sun Microsystems

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

no symbol table

Hi@all, I try to compile c code on hpux 11.11 pa-risc 2 with gcc (32bit). I compile with the option -g, so that I get the symbol table, but it is not available. Does someone knows something on this? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dom_Cyrus
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to view symbol table in unix

hi , How to view the contents of a "c" program symbol table information in unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan_nitt
1 Replies

3. Programming

ELF-string table

hello everybody! I want to read the string table of an object file(which is in ELF format). I get the sh_name value but i cant find a way to read the value in the string table that this index represent. I program in C. thanx a lot folks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
3 Replies

4. Linux

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
0 Replies

5. Programming

Symbol table of a C program

Hi, is there any command to see symbol table info. will it show where its allocating memory for varibales golbals & locals and code.(i mean the segments). i read there is a section called read only data segment and this is where initialized data such as strings stores. i have wriiten the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file a background program writes to

Hi! #!/usr/bin/env bash rm tmpcomm nc -v -u -l 444 | hexdump -b > tmpcomm while : do read l1 < tmpcomm read l2 < tmpcomm read l3 < tmpcomm read l4 < tmpcomm # do something doneI start netcat in the background and listen for an incoming conncetion. All incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: torax123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script for reading table format data from file.

Hi, i need a perl script which reads the file, content is given below. and output in new file. TARGET DRIVE IO1 IO2 IO3 IO4 IO5 ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- 0a.1.8 266 236 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies

8. Programming

How to prevent a C++ program reading a file that is still being written to.?

Hi, Hopefully someone can help. We have a process that writes a file using Connect Direct to our local Solaris server and then our C++ program will pick up the file and process it. Unfortunately, because of the size of the file, the C++ program is processing the file before it has finished... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

1. This will insert the records into db table by reading from ta csv file

I have this code with me but the condition is If any of the mandatory columns are null then entire file will be rejected. LOAD DATA infile ' ' #specifies the name of a datafile containing data that you want to load BADFILE ' ' #specifies the name of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raka123
1 Replies

10. Programming

Search the symbol table of a child process

Hi, I am a newbie in Linux land, and I have a question about programming parent/child process interaction: How do I search the value of a symbol in the child process? Is it possible? I am doing a fork() and execve() to spawn any child possible, and I need something on the parent side to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphakili
12 Replies
elf_getarsym(3ELF)					       ELF Library Functions						elf_getarsym(3ELF)

NAME
elf_getarsym - retrieve archive symbol table SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lelf [ library ... ] #include <libelf.h> Elf_Arsym *elf_getarsym(Elf *elf, size_t *ptr); DESCRIPTION
The elf_getarsym() function returns a pointer to the archive symbol table, if one is available for the ELF descriptor elf. Otherwise, the archive doesn't have a symbol table, an error occurred, or elf was null; elf_getarsym() then returns a null value. The symbol table is an array of structures that include the following members. char *as_name; size_t as_off; unsigned long as_hash; These members have the following semantics: as_name A pointer to a null-terminated symbol name resides here. as_off This value is a byte offset from the beginning of the archive to the member's header. The archive member residing at the given offset defines the associated symbol. Values in as_off may be passed as arguments to elf_rand(). See elf_begin(3ELF) to access the desired archive member. as_hash This is a hash value for the name, as computed by elf_hash(). If ptr is non-null, the library stores the number of table entries in the location to which ptr points. This value is set to 0 when the return value is NULL. The table's last entry, which is included in the count, has a null as_name, a zero value for as_off, and ~0UL for as_hash. The hash value returned is guaranteed not to be the bit pattern of all ones ( ~0UL). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ar.h(3HEAD), elf(3ELF), elf_begin(3ELF), elf_getarhdr(3ELF), elf_hash(3ELF), libelf(3LIB), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 11 Jul 2001 elf_getarsym(3ELF)