Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Regular Expressions as command line paramteters Post 302339969 by pludi on Saturday 1st of August 2009 08:33:25 AM
Old 08-01-2009
You have to keep the shell from parsing the pipe symbol:
Code:
$ echo grey|gray
bash: gray: command not found
$ echo 'grey|gray'
grey|gray

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hi, can anyone advise me how to shorten this: if || ; then I tried but it dosent seem to work, whats the correct way. Cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep using a line break in regular expressions?

Hi, I have a file as below, {#### if file then file else file } print file i need to fine the count of all the pattern - file, inside the { } i'm using a grep command as grep -c \{'*file*'\} fake.sh\ It doesn't gives me any result, i think the problem here is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular expressions output is whole line

Hi, I am newbie in shell programming and I need some help. I had some data and I format it in a file like dn: uid=aaaaa, dc=exmple, dc=com cn: bbbb cccc sn: cccc telephoneNumber:+30-6543-123456 I have to extract the information aaaaa , bbbb, cccc and the phone number using awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pro
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
XSETROOT(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XSETROOT(1)

NAME
xsetroot - root window parameter setting utility for X SYNOPSIS
xsetroot [-help] [-def] [-display display] [-cursor cursorfile maskfile] [-cursor_name cursorname] [-xcf cursorfile cursorsize] [-bitmap filename] [-mod x y] [-gray] [-grey] [-fg color] [-bg color] [-rv] [-solid color] [-name string] DESCRIPTION
The xsetroot program allows you to tailor the appearance of the background ("root") window on a workstation display running X. Normally, you experiment with xsetroot until you find a personalized look that you like, then put the xsetroot command that produces it into your X startup file. If no options are specified, or if -def is specified, the window is reset to its default state. The -def option can be specified along with other options and only the non-specified characteristics will be reset to the default state. Only one of the background color/tiling changing options (-solid, -gray, -grey, -bitmap, and -mod) may be specified at a time. OPTIONS
The various options are as follows: -help Print a usage message and exit. -def Reset unspecified attributes to the default values. (Restores the background to the familiar gray mesh and the cursor to the hollow x shape.) -cursor cursorfile maskfile This lets you change the pointer cursor to whatever you want when the pointer cursor is outside of any window. Cursor and mask files are bitmaps (little pictures), and can be made with the bitmap(1) program. You probably want the mask file to be all black until you get used to the way masks work. -cursor_name cursorname This lets you change the pointer cursor to one of the standard cursors from the cursor font. Refer to appendix B of the X protocol for the names (except that the XC_ prefix is elided for this option). -xcf cursorfile cursorsize This lets you change the pointer cursor to one loaded from an Xcursor file as defined by libXcursor, at the specified size. -bitmap filename Use the bitmap specified in the file to set the window pattern. You can make your own bitmap files (little pictures) using the bit- map(1) program. The entire background will be made up of repeated "tiles" of the bitmap. -mod x y This is used if you want a plaid-like grid pattern on your screen. x and y are integers ranging from 1 to 16. Try the different combinations. Zero and negative numbers are taken as 1. -gray Make the entire background gray. (Easier on the eyes.) -grey Make the entire background grey. -fg color Use ``color'' as the foreground color. Foreground and background colors are meaningful only in combination with -cursor, -bitmap, or -mod. -bg color Use ``color'' as the background color. -rv This exchanges the foreground and background colors. Normally the foreground color is black and the background color is white. -solid color This sets the background of the root window to the specified color. This option is only useful on color servers. -name string Set the name of the root window to ``string''. There is no default value. Usually a name is assigned to a window so that the win- dow manager can use a text representation when the window is iconified. This option is unused since you can't iconify the back- ground. -display display Specifies the server to connect to; see X(7). SEE ALSO
X(7), xset(1), xrdb(1), Xcursor(3) AUTHOR
Mark Lillibridge, MIT Project Athena X Version 11 xsetroot 1.1.0 XSETROOT(1)