Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33 Post 302339912 by Corona688 on Friday 31st of July 2009 06:47:22 PM
Old 07-31-2009
The $ in front of the string causes it to try to execute the string and feed its output into ed, not feed it into ed directly. Which is a new one on me. Shells are such weird things. Smilie cat <<< "asdf" works fine, as does cat <<< "$varname".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expanding dotted paths to absolute ones in bash or sh

I have a little script to help me manage a gallery of image files. It makes symbolic links to every file in and below the current directory, placing them in a target directory which is passed to the script as a parameter. Unfortunately, the script pukes when I pass a parameter that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRanger
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expanding Variables in User Input

If have var='$variable' how can I expand $variable. I have tried many thing like duble quotes/braces etc, but nothing worked. I need the solution ASAP. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bsk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variables

Ummm can anybody help me with this one? Its prob quite simple. I bascially have a file name say J1x2x3x7.dat Im using the file name as a variable in a bash script. Want I want to do is extract most of the file name and make it a new variable expect with say one of the number now a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichieFondel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use in bash variables and quotes

I have some troubles with variables and quotes... I want: if $URL is empty (no user input) go to http://www.localhost/index.php/ else add this string (search) "?s=+$URL" EXAMPLE: No user input string= http://www.localhost/index.php/ User input = "unix" string=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue expanding variables in ksh script

Hi Guys, I have an issue with awk and variables. I have trawled the internet and forums but can't seem to get the exactt syntax I need. I have tried using awk -v and all sorts of variations but I have hit a brick wall. I have spent a full day on this and am just going round in circles. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible ksh93 Bug Expanding Variables?

My OS is Linux (kernel 4.08.something) and AIX (7100-04-01-1543), the used ksh versions are: ksh88: Version M-11/16/88f (AIX) ksh93: Version M 93t+ 2009-05-01 (AIX), Version M 93u (Linux) When writing a parser for stanza files in ksh i encountered a rather strange behavior. Here is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash argument not expanding in script

I pass an argument to bash as run. The first command in green executes as expected, however the second in blue fails as the $run does not expand. I tried to escape the variable with \ thinking the quotes were making the literal translation and also "${run}" but both did not work to expand the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
ARRAY_UNSHIFT(3)							 1							  ARRAY_UNSHIFT(3)

array_unshift - Prepend one or more elements to the beginning of an array

SYNOPSIS
int array_unshift (array &$array, mixed $value1, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_unshift(3) prepends passed elements to the front of the $array. Note that the list of elements is prepended as a whole, so that the prepended elements stay in the same order. All numerical array keys will be modified to start counting from zero while literal keys won't be touched. PARAMETERS
o $array - The input array. o $value1 - First value to prepend. RETURN VALUES
Returns the new number of elements in the $array. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_unshift(3) example <?php $queue = array("orange", "banana"); array_unshift($queue, "apple", "raspberry"); print_r($queue); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => apple [1] => raspberry [2] => orange [3] => banana ) SEE ALSO
array_shift(3), array_push(3), array_pop(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_UNSHIFT(3)