Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get process id in perl Post 302339741 by RohitKJ on Friday 31st of July 2009 08:55:53 AM
Old 07-31-2009
thanks jim,

second code work for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process from perl script.

How do I kill a process, say by name "drec" from a perl script. I tried with : ps -eaf | grep drec | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9. The output I got is : ps -eaf | grep drec | awk '{print }' | xargs kill -9 /usr/bin/kill: ipgen: Arguments must be %job or process ids {But, $2 is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharuvman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Run perl script in the current process

I have a question regarding running perl in the current process. I shall demonstrate with an example. Look at this. sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ cat test.sh #! /bin/sh cd /etc sh-2.05b$ ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ . ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /etc sh-2.05b$ So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to kill a process in perl

Hi friends, I have a perl script which needs to kill all java processes running on both windows and unix. currently I'm getting the OS and killing the process by using system. my code is: if ($os eq MSWin32) system("taskkill java"); else system("kill -9 java") Is there any way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Background Process - Finshed Yet?

I have a perl process I want to run in background in a cgi, but do not want to continue until process finished code looks like this. sub calc(){ do calculations return value } In another Perl program I call above function such as &calc(); I want to continue after process... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Kill process within 5 min

From a perl script , How can I monitor a PS which I activated and kill it within 5 minutes in case it didn't complete its tasks.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Process a file in perl

I have a file with following data : Qspace: COLOR: Queue: doColor Qspace: COLOR: Queue order: fifo Qspace: COLOR: Out of order: none Qspace: COLOR: Retries: 5 Qspace: COLOR: Queue: setColor Qspace: COLOR: Queue order: fifo Qspace: COLOR: Out of order: none Qspace: COLOR: Retries: 5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a background process in perl?

Hi, I want to put the following code as a parallel or background process The program is as below: $n=10; #Count of files to be created. for($j=0;$j<=$n;$j++) { open(FH,">files_$j.txt") || warn "cannot create a file\n"; { print FH "count of file: $j\n"; #Sample data to be written. just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel process in Perl

HI All, I have scenerio where I need to call sub modules through for loop for (i=0; i<8000 ;i++) { .. BLOCKA } BLOCKA { .. .. subroutine 1; subroutine 2; } I want this to be run in parallel process1 BLOCKA { (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)