Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to append two files with common field. Post 302339719 by manneni prakash on Friday 31st of July 2009 08:13:17 AM
Old 07-31-2009
How to append two files with common field.

I have two files like

File1 : will get this file from "who" command. It is a unix file.

user val1 Jul 29 13:15 (IP Address1)
user val3 Jul 30 03:21 (IP Address2)
user val2 Jul 29 13:16 (IP Address3)
user val4 Jul 29 13:17 (IP Address4)

File2 : I will export the data from DATABASE with space as a delimiter. So this file is different from unix file

val1 id1 machine name
val2 id2 machine name
val4 id3 machine name
val3 id4 machine name

Question is:

I want to append 1st column of the first file to 2nd file by comparing (val1,val3,val2,val4) in the 1st file with (val1,val2,val4,val3) second file.

Please, Can anyone help in this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with complex merg of files with common field

Please help, I am new to shell Programming. I have three files each containg a unique text (key) field (e.g. ABCDEF, XCDUD as shown below), line return followed by some data of which there can be more then one instance. In addition, in some cases there may be no data but only a key field. Please... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join file contents via common field

I have 2 files with a common parm - Jobname File 1 0507 1202 JOBA 0507 1302 JOBB 0507 1452 JOBC 0507 1552 JOBA 0507 1553 JOBA File2 JOBA abcdefg server4 JOBB defghij server22 JOBC vwxyz12 server55 I would like to take each line from File1 and match the jobname with the jobname... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northerner
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

join files based on a common field

Hi experts, Would you please help me with this? I have several files and I need to join the forth field of them based on the common first field. here's an example... first file: 280346 39.88 -75.08 547.8 280690 39.23 -74.83 538.7 280729 40.83 -75.08 499.2 280907 40.9 -74.4 507.8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFire
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare two files based on common field in unix

I have two files in UNIX. 1st file is Entity and Second File is References. 1st File has only one column named Entity ID and 2nd file has two columns Entity ID | Person ID. I want to produce a output file where entity id's are matching in both the files. Entity File 624197 624252 624264... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRS
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging CSV fields based on a common field

Hi List, I have two files. File1 contains all of the data I require to be processed, and I need to add another field to this data by matching a common field in File2 and appending a corresponding field to the data in File1 based on the match... So: File 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landossa
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to join two files using "Join" command with one common field in this problem?

file1: Toronto:12439755:1076359:July 1, 1867:6 Quebec City:7560592:1542056:July 1, 1867:5 Halifax:938134:55284:July 1, 1867:4 Fredericton:751400:72908:July 1, 1867:3 Winnipeg:1170300:647797:July 15, 1870:7 Victoria:4168123:944735:July 20, 1871:10 Charlottetown:137900:5660:July 1, 1873:2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindfreak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Values with common field in same line with awk

Hi all ! I almost did it but got a small problem. input: cars red cars blue cars green truck black Wanted: cars red-blue-green truck black Attempt: gawk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{a = a (a?"-":"")$2; $2=a; print $1 FS $2}' input But I also got the intermediate records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: output lines with common field to separate files

Hi, A beginner one. my input.tab (tab-separated): h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 item1 grpA 2 3 customer1 item2 grpB 4 6 customer1 item3 grpA 5 9 customer1 item4 grpA 0 0 customer2 item5 grpA 9 1 customer2 objective: output a file for each customer ($5) with the item number ($1) only if $2 matches... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies
NCFLINT(1)						      General Commands Manual							NCFLINT(1)

NAME
ncflint - netCDF File Interpolator SYNTAX
ncflint [-3] [-4] [-6] [-A] [-C] [-c] [-D dbg] [-d dim,[ min][,[ max]]] [-F] [-h] [-i var,val3][-L dfl_lvl][-l path] [-O] [-p path] [-R] [-r] [-t thr_nbr] [-v var[,...]] [-w wgt[, wgt2]] [-X box] [-x] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
ncflint creates an output file that is a linear combination of the input files. This linear combination can be a weighted average, a nor- malized weighted average, or an interpolation of the input files. Coordinate variables are not acted upon in any case, they are simply copied from file_1. There are two conceptually distinct methods of using ncflint. The first method is to specify the weight each input file is to have in the output file. In this method, the value val3 of a variable in the output file file_3 is determined from its values val1 and val2 in the two input files according to wgt1*val1+wgt2*val2 Here at least wgt1, and, optionally, wgt2, are specified on the command line with the -w (or --weight or --wgt_var ) switch. If only IR wgt1 is specified then wgt2 is automatically computed as wgt2=1-wgt1. Note that weights larger than 1 are allowed. Thus it is possible to specify wgt1=2 and wgt2=-3. One can use this functionality to multiply all the values in a given file by a constant. The second method of using ncflint is to specify the interpolation option with -i (or with the --ntp or --interpolate long options). This is really the inverse of the first method in the following sense. When the user specifies the weights directly, ncflint has no work to do besides multiplying the input values by their respective weights and adding the results together to produce the output values. This assumes it is the weights that are known a priori. In another class of cases it is the "arrival value" (i.e., val3 ) of a particular vari- able var that is known a priori. In this case, the implied weights can always be inferred by examining the values of var in the input files. This results in one equation in two unknowns, wgt1 and wgt2: val3=wgt1*val1+wgt2*val2. Unique determination of the weights requires imposing the additional constraint of normalization on the weights: wgt1+wgt2=1. Thus, to use the interpolation option, the user specifies var and val3 with the -i option. ncflint will compute wgt1 and wgt2, and use these weights on all variables to generate the output file. Although var may have any number of dimensions in the input files, it must represent a single, scalar value. Thus any dimensions associated with var must be "degenerate", i.e., of size one. If neither -i nor -w is specified on the command line, ncflint defaults to weighting each input file equally in the output file. This is equivalent to specifying -w0.5 or -w0.5,0.5. Attempting to specify both .BR -i and -w methods in the same command is an error. ncflint is programmed not to interpolate variables of type NC_CHAR and NC_BYTE. This behavior is hardcoded. AUTHOR
NCO manual pages written by Charlie Zender and Brian Mays. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=3331>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Charlie Zender This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for NCO is maintained as a Texinfo manual called the NCO User's Guide. Because NCO is mathematical in nature, the documentation includes TeX-intensive portions not viewable on character-based displays. Hence the only complete and authoritative versions of the NCO User's Guide are the PDF (recommended), DVI, and Postscript versions at <http://nco.sf.net/nco.pdf>, <http://nco.sf.net/nco.dvi>, and <http://nco.sf.net/nco.ps>, respectively. HTML and XML versions are available at <http://nco.sf.net/nco.html> and <http://nco.sf.net/nco.xml>, respectively. If the info and NCO programs are properly installed at your site, the command info nco should give you access to the complete manual, except for the TeX-intensive portions. HOMEPAGE
The NCO homepage at <http://nco.sf.net> contains more information. NCFLINT(1)