Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep statement Post 302339390 by Shazin on Thursday 30th of July 2009 11:12:19 AM
Old 07-30-2009
Grep statement

Hi All,

Please can somebody advise that if I want to search a pattern xyz the grep command should only select xyz and not any other pattern containing xyz (ex abxyzcd)

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep in if statement

Can somebody please guide me towards right syntax: #!/bin/ksh if i = $(grep $NAME filename) echo "Name Found" else echo " Name not Found" fi I need to grep for $NAME in the file, and if it returns false, execute a series of commands and if true, exit out. The above is not the right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep in a test/if statement

Okay, well this is more or less my first attempt at writing a shell script. Anyways, here's my code: cd ${PATH} if then rm ${FILE} ./anotherScript else exit 1 fi exit 1 Anyways, it's a pretty simple script that is supposed to search for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swich statement based on a grep?

I'm piping the results of a tcpdump into a shell script and want certain commands executed (specifically the firing of an SNMP alert) based on a grep for certain contents in the output of tcpdump. For example, I have #!/bin/bash while read str; do grep 'ttl 64' -q && sudo snmptrap -v 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulobrad
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep entire statement not just line

(extract from SQL binlog file...) # at 4960 #080801 14:35:31 server id 4 end_log_pos 195 Query thread_id=63121426 exec_time=0 error_code=0 use d_jds; SET TIMESTAMP=1217581531; UPDATE bid_details set bidding = 3170.37 ,deduction=if((3170.37 < 37.43),0,deduction) where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / grep / for statement performance - please help

I'm searching the most effective way of doing the following task, so if someone can either provide a working solution with sed or one totally different but more effective then what I've got so far then please go ahead! The debugme directory has 3 subdirectorys and each of them has one .txt file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement with grep as conditional

Please see the script segment below for i in $files do echo $i if ; then case "$1" in "IE0263"|"IE0264"|"IE0267"|"IE0268") short_filename=`ls -l $i | cut -c108-136 | sort` ;; "IE0272"|"IE0273") short_filename=`ls -l $i | cut... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmahal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk/sed/grep with goto statement!

Hi, I have an array with characters and I am looking for specific character in that array and if those specific character not found than I use goto statment which is define somehwhere in the script. My code is: set a = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#a}) if ($a != "F" || $a != "D")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Segmentation Fault If statement

I receive a segmentation fault on some servers when grepping a string, but not when I use -i, and vice-versa. I have googled this and realise it is usually a hardware / memory issue. I'd like to write an if statement that says "if grep string returns 'Segmentation fault' then grep the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GREP in IF Statement

Hello All, I have 2 different pieces of code, I am confused why the Code1 is giving me the correct result where as the Code2 is not giving me correct result. It gives me always result as "Failure" irrespective of the "ERROR" word exists in logfile or not. may I know the reason why? I am using Bash... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps -ef|grep <processname> usage in IF statement

Hi, Am working in a filenet domain where we are using AIX as our terminal to run the jobs and schedule the shell scripts to run . In my previous post regarding the "Log modification with finding errors" ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
12 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)