Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix Post 302339212 by beemergeek on Thursday 30th of July 2009 04:47:01 AM
Old 07-30-2009
I think you've found your problem. I'd replace the network cable and move to another network port before I replaced the network port itself.

I don't see much that refers to kurl. I wonder if it's an embedded SysV, such as Coherent? I never did see that 'uname -a' output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a large filesystem

Hi there In my organisation we have a solaris network with /home being automounted from /export/home on a central file server (usual stuff) however, the guy who originally set this up only allocated 3gb to /export/home and now we are really struggling for space. I have a new 18gb disk installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Strange difference in file size when copying LARGE file..

Hi, Im trying to take a database backup. one of the files is 26 GB. I am using cp -pr to create a backup copy of the database. after the copying is complete, if i do du -hrs on the folders i saw a difference of 2GB. The weird fact is that the BACKUP folder was 2 GB more than the original one! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SVR4 UNIX questions

Hi My main problem is trying to reset the password on an ancient (but still live) server. I have booted from floppy into maintenance mode, but it won't allow me to mount /. I'm using mount -F vxfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /mnt and I get an error message along the lines of "operation not applicable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetleaf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file problem

I have a large file, around 570 gb that I want to copy to tape. However, my tape drive will load only up to 500 gb. I don't have enough space on disk to compress it before copying to tape. Can I compress and tar to tape in one command without writing a compressed disk file? Any suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iancrozier
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2?

I have an old Unisys U6000/65 server I obtained as surplus about 12 years ago. For its day (1993) this server line was capable of insane ability, up to 4 gig of memory using dozens of 30-pin SIMMs and up to six processors, including mixed processor speeds and types (486/Pentium) in the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMahalko
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape

Hello, I need to copy a 700GB tape-image file over a network. I want to start the copy process before the tape-image has finished being restored from the tape. The tape restore speed is about 78 Mbps and the file transfer speed over the network is about 45 Mbps I don't want to use a pipe, since... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamik
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem copying files from windows to unix

Hello, I want some directions for a command inside a shell script which would copy files from some path on my windows os (say my documents) to the path where my shell script is saved and I want it to exit the sftp session and continue executing the remaining lines in my shell script after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishwa308
2 Replies
COMPAT_SVR4(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    COMPAT_SVR4(8)

NAME
compat_svr4 -- setup procedure for running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries compat_svr4_32 -- setup procedure for running 32-bit SVR4/iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries. This code has been tested on i386 (with binaries from SCO OpenServer and XENIX), m68k (with binaries from AMIX) and sparc (with binaries from Solaris) systems. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures the /proc filesystem the ticotsord loopback RPC mechanism (NIS uses this) sound and video interfaces threads (ttsession uses threads) the streams administrative driver The SVR4 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_SVR4 option enabled. Since support for ELF executables is included only if the kernel is compiled with the EXEC_ELF32 or EXEC_ELF64 options enabled, kernels which include COMPAT_SVR4 should also typ- ically include EXEC_ELF32 (for 32-bit ELF support) and/or EXEC_ELF64 (for 64-bit ELF support). Another compatibility feature is COMPAT_SVR4_32, which allows the execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 64-bit kernel. This requires EXEC_ELF32 and COMPAT_NETBSD32 options as well as COMPAT_SVR4. It is configured the same way as COMPAT_SVR4 but uses the /emul/svr4_32 directory instead of /emul/svr4. But typically, /emul/svr4_32 can be made to point to /emul/svr4 if the operating system donating the libraries has support for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 32-bit kernel uses COMPAT_SVR4, not COMPAT_SVR4_32. Most SVR4 programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on and the run- time linker. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for SVR4 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/svr4. Any file operations done by SVR4 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if a SVR4 program opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/svr4/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install SVR4 packages that include configuration files, etc under /emul/svr4, to avoid naming conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. The simplest way to set up your system for SVR4 binaries is: 1. Make the necessary directories: (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/{bin,lib,ucblib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/{bin,lib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/dt/{bin,lib} 2. Copy files from an svr4 system: (me@svr4) cd /usr/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/ucblib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/ucblib && tar -xpf -' If you are running openwindows: (me@svr4) cd /usr/openwin/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/dt/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/dt/lib && tar -xpf -' 3. You will also probably need the timezone files from your Solaris system, otherwise emulated binaries will run on UTC time. (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/etc/default (me@svr4) cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@solaris) tar -cf -. | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo && tar -xpf -' (me@netbsd) echo TZ=US/Pacific > /emul/svr4/etc/default/init 4. Set up the configuration files and devices: (me@netbsd) cd /usr/share/examples/emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp netconfig nsswitch.conf /emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp SVR4_MAKEDEV /emul/svr4/dev (me@netbsd) cd /emul/svr4/dev && sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all As the major number allocated for emulation of SVR4 devices may vary between NetBSD platforms, the SVR4_MAKEDEV script uses the uname(1) command to determine the architecture the devices nodes are being created for; this can be overridden by setting the MACHINE environment variable accordingly. An alternative method is to mount a whole SVR4 partition in /emul/svr4 and then override with other mounts /emul/svr4/etc and /emul/svr4/dev. BUGS
Many system calls are still not emulated. The streams emulation is incomplete (socketpair does not work yet). Most SVR4 executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. More recent ones, compiled for large file support (Solaris 2.6 and up) can. With older programs, you will see the message ``svr4_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program'' when this happens. Cur- rently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. BSD
April 19, 1999 BSD